Sign in to follow this  
Solarcode red

Using the virtual garage to turn one vehicle into another

So this may not make sense or be possible. But in my mission I have a scenario where the play gets in a helicopter and an ai unit flies them to different firing positions. My question/desire is to be able to turn that specific helicopter into a different vehicle via the virtual garage. Like the player could use the action menu on the vehicle turn It from an apache into a cobra for example probably not possible or my explanation may be off but if anyone knows how I'd appreciate any help thanks also the ai unit flying has to still stay inside 

You can test with a simple idea. Turn a jeep into a truck.

Drive your jeep into a trigger and the trigger fires. When the trigger fires it runs a script (sorry I don't have the exact commands). Your script does these things:

1. You are placed on the ground next to the jeep
  2. The jeep is deleted from the map
  3. The truck is moved to the position where the jeep was
  4. You are placed into the driver's seat of the truck

This all happens in a split second, so to the player it will appear instantaneously.

Following Joe98's idea, you can improve it with something quite similar like Gunther's easy-and quick scripts for teleporting - so you would teleport away, let's say, a vehicle named originalVehicle and put on its place another one named replacementVehicle - which would be hidden very far away - and vice-versa. If that helps, here's Gunther's howTo:

Also, take a look at this very recent post regarding replacing red portable lights with green portable lights: maybe you could use the same style to replace a class of vehicle for another 😉

18 hours ago, Joe98 said:

You can test with a simple idea. Turn a jeep into a truck.

Drive your jeep into a trigger and the trigger fires. When the trigger fires it runs a script (sorry I don't have the exact commands). Your script does these things:

1. You are placed on the ground next to the jeep
  2. The jeep is deleted from the map
  3. The truck is moved to the position where the jeep was
  4. You are placed into the driver's seat of the truck

This all happens in a split second, so to the player it will appear instantaneously.

thing is the player can't move the vehicle as it has a trigger on it to move and an ai unit is in the pilot seat my idea was sorta have the player walk up to it and use the menu to change the vehicle