Sign in to follow this  
Blademun

Not detecting the description.ext file?

I got this really good idea for a CTF mission. So, I decided to learn the editor tools enough to make it. I used the sites Tutorial on Mission Editing, useing alot of the code it used. I took out the sound and intro/outro portions of the code because I hate intros and sound.

My problem is after putting the description.ext and breifing.Html into my missions folder, then exporting to MP missions...I create a MP game to play by myself to test it. I get no options as host nor does the respawn work...and my mission is fairly tough for either side so I get killed before I can test the flag system. -_-;;

I think, for some reason, its not exporting the mission file, description.ext and breifing.html right into a PBO.

Why? ANy help you guys can give on this? Its really strange, and I seriously doubti t hs anything to do with takeing out the sound portion of the code that the tutorial had.

Why not UnPBO the MP mission's PBO and verify whether the files are there and whether you named them correctly.

Posting the Decription.ext would helpout in solving your problem.

Just open it in wordpad, and paste it as a quote in your post.

Cheers

respawn=3

respawndelay=10

onLoadMission="Little Malden"

titleParam1 = "Time:";

valuesParam1[] = {10000, 300, 600, 900, 1200, 1500, 1800, 2700, 3600, 7200};

defValueParam1 = 1800;

textsParam1[] = {"Unlimited", "5 min", "10 min", "15 min", "20 min", "25 min", "30 min", "45 min", "1 hour", "2 hours"};

titleParam2 = "Score to win:";

valuesParam2[] = {10000, 5, 7, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30};

defValueParam2 = 5;

textsParam2[] = {"Unlimited", 5, 7, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30};

There ya go. I don't really understand this scripting language. I'snt there some sort of guide detailing the scripting language and how it works? AOK Conqueror's shipped with a file that explained how to script Maps, AI's and Scenarios.

I ll compare it to some decriptions i have at home when i get home tonight.

I doubt all the stuff in you file needs to be in the decription.

But i can t compare.

My guess is a few things need to be in "init.sqs"

Cheers

I don't think there's anything wrong with your description.ext file. You could of course double-check that it's actually named description.ext and not description.ext.txt. Anyway, I think you're right that the briefing, description and init files weren't included into the PBO - it happened to me once also (the only time I exported to MP missions using OFP.v.1.91). Could it be a 1.91 bug? What version are you running, Blademun?

Just for info: if you have already exported a mission to

multiplayer, you need to delete it before you export again.

The file cannot be overwritten by OFP.

Or: if you save/export a mission with another name than the

custom mission's name, only the mission.sqm will be saved/exported.

hope this helps a lil bit

~S~ CD

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DV Chris Death @ Mar. 03 2003,17:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just for info: if you have already exported a mission to

multiplayer, you need to delete it before you export again.

The file cannot be overwritten by OFP.<span id='postcolor'>

Yup, well for me it was the first time I exported that mission. So that's not the problem.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DV Chris Death @ Mar. 03 2003,17:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Or: if you save/export a mission with another name than the

custom mission's name, only the mission.sqm will be saved/exported.<span id='postcolor'>

That could have been what happend to me, I'm not sure. Can't be bothered to check right now anyway.

I'm running version 1.46 because I'm a moron who mistook the Gold version for the GOTY version of the game. -_-

I am now absolutely clueless as to why things arn't working as they should. I have UnPBO'ed the file and my decrip.ext and Breifing were there. So why then dosen't it work?

I'm going to delete the file and re-save again.

Aha! I'v found the culprit...apparently notepads been playing a trick on me, saving the file as Description.ext.txt

However, no matter what I try I can't get it to stop doing that..

(EDIT) Damn windows...I kinda fixed the prob by opening another .ext file. Windows asked me what to read it with, I said notepad. I saved again and this time, voila...

Errr, ok..I'v got most everything figured out now. I just need some code. How do you add Magazines into a ammocrate? Apparently the tutorial forgot to mention how..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blademun @ Mar. 03 2003,22:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Aha! I'v found the culprit...apparently notepads been playing a trick on me, saving the file as Description.ext.txt<span id='postcolor'>

BINGO! BINGO! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blademun @ Mar. 04 2003,03:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How do you add Magazines into a ammocrate? Apparently the tutorial forgot to mention how..<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this addMagazineCargo ["magazineName",100]<span id='postcolor'>

Where 100 is the number of mags..

thanks for all the help guys..unfortunately after spending an entire day trying to get the flag system to work right I caved, unpboed a CTF mision I had, moved stuff around, changed a few triggers and voila..a mission. It'd be nice if there were..template maps, set up with all the neccessary triggers for a basic CTF mission. Then, from there a guy like me could save lots of time useing one of those instead of wasteing the better part of my life learning a new script language... (Yes, I gave all credit to the guy who had made the map, I said it was his, I just remixed it.)