Entaryn2

Terrain Builder doesn't generate any layers

Hello

I am currently following the PMC's ultimate terrain tutorial. I have imported all the layers, built the terrain and created my layers.cfg file.

When in mapframe properties I click Generate layers, there is a split second progress bar and then it dissappears. When I launch Buldozer, the terrain is there but there are no textures. When I look into my data\layers folder, there are no files. So that means Terrain Builder didn't even generate those files, or it generated them somewhere else.

Any ideas why?

Thank you

Can you post your layers config?

and maybe a screen shot of the folder structure and the mapframe properties 

This is the layers.cfg. I have it placed in my \source folder

class Layers
{
	class entr_grass_green
	{
		material = "entr\entr_demo\data\entr_grass_green.rvmat";
	};
};

class Legend
{
	picture = "maplegend.png";

class Colors
	{
		entr_grass_green[] = {{ 230, 230, 120 }};
	};
};

Here is a link to Imgur where I have posted all the screenshots https://imgur.com/a/Ig7ex78

This is my rvmat. I did it the same way as on the PMC wiki tutorial

ambient[] = { 1, 1, 1, 1 };
diffuse[] = { 1, 1, 1, 1 };
forcedDiffuse[] = { 0.02, 0.02, 0.02, 1 };
specular[] = { 0, 0, 0, 0 };
specularPower = 1;
emmisive[] = { 0, 0, 0, 0 };

PixelShaderID = "NormalMapDiffuse";
VertexShaderID = "NormalMapDiffuseAlpha";

class Stage1
{
	texture = "a3\map_data\gdt_grass_green_nopx.paa";
	uvSource = "tex";
	class uvTransform
	{
		aside[] = { 10, 0, 0 };
		up[]    = { 0, 10, 0 };
		dir[]   = { 0, 0, 10 };
		pos[]   = { 0, 0, 0 };
	};
};

class Stage2
{
	texture = "a3\map_data\gdt_grass_green_co.paa";
	uvSource = "tex";
	class uvTransform
	{
		aside[] = { 10, 0, 0 };
		up[]    = { 0, 10, 0 };
		dir[]   = { 0, 0, 10 };
		pos[]   = { 0, 0, 0 };
	};
};

Can you post your samplers page image as well. 

I will say. Don’t use rvmats and textures straight from a3. Take the textures and rvmats and put them in your layers folder. Change the texture names and add your prefix to them. Also path the rvmats to point to your layers folder where the texture are now located. If you try to do it pathed to arma 3 ground textures it will interfere with clutter either not showing on your terrain or possible it can mess up other terrains 

Ok, I have tried copying them form the a3 folder and using them straight from my layers folder. I have also changed the paths in both the layers.cfg and the rvmat itself, but it still doesnt work. It is confusing as there still is a quick progress bar when I click generate layers but no new files appear in the layers folder.

This is my Samplers tab.

pANDjsW.png

Okay I fixed it.

The thing that was casuing the problem was, that I have ran Terrain Builder from the Arma3 Tools before. Even though I tried to run it from its own exe, it didn't work for some reason.

So what I did was I uninstalled the whole Arma3Tools, my whole P drive and my whole content in it so far, so I can really make sure I followed the tutorial correctly.

The only thing I did differently was, that I have never ever ran Terrain Builder from Arma3Tools launcher. I have only opened Arma3Tools once after installing it, to get the registry going. Everytime after that I ran Terrain Builder from its own exe and that fixed the problem.

• Like 1

I am having a similar issue, Buldozer is showing a grey surface even though all textures and file paths are correct.

I have tried launching from both Arma3Tools and from the .exe

When I launch TB from the Arma3Tools I get a notification "Buldozer may not work: Wrong or missing "Steam_appid.txt"

Could this be the problem?