Sign in to follow this  
dgrrrhelp

Can I copy DRO "revive" system into my own newbie mission?

For an Arma3 editing newbie,  is there a relatively simple way to "copy" the player & AI revive behaviors from the "Dynamic Recon Ops - Tanoa" single player scenario into a new Tanoa mission I made? 

(I.e. create a mission in the editor, and then (1) allow the SP player to revive downed AI, and (2) make the AI revive downed AI or downed player)

(I'm assuming not -- the DRO mission files have MANY text references to "revive" in several main files & subfolders, so I'm guessing there's no cut and paste answer...)

(FYI I have learned how to add Gunter Severloh's "Self Heal/Revive" init.sqf file to the folder, and that does work. But I'm hoping there's a similarly simple way to allow reviving between player & AI, like in DRO)

2 hours ago, dgrrrhelp said:

For an Arma3 editing newbie,  is there a relatively simple way to "copy" the player & AI revive behaviors from the "Dynamic Recon Ops - Tanoa" single player scenario into a new Tanoa mission I made? 

(I.e. create a mission in the editor, and then (1) allow the SP player to revive downed AI, and (2) make the AI revive downed AI or downed player)

(I'm assuming not -- the DRO mission files have MANY text references to "revive" in several main files & subfolders, so I'm guessing there's no cut and paste answer...)

(FYI I have learned how to add Gunter Severloh's "Self Heal/Revive" init.sqf file to the folder, and that does work. But I'm hoping there's a similarly simple way to allow reviving between player & AI, like in DRO)

Is it a custom revive script the author made? 

either way id highly recommend Psychobastard's A3 Wounding system. Very moular and reliable. Zero issues with it to this date

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/161291-a3-wounding-system-ais-by-psycho/

Thx redarmy --  I copied  & pasted the description.ext and "AIS" folder to my new single player mission folder as instructed by the Readme file, but so far, the AI does not come me when I go down and call for help, even with default settings (all can heal). 

The readme section on AI behavior says, "[whether or not] an AI unit will help you depends on mission settings and what the mission designer has set up!"  I suppose this part is the main challenge, the part I'm hoping to learn.

On 4/11/2023 at 1:41 PM, dgrrrhelp said:

Thx redarmy --  I copied  & pasted the description.ext and "AIS" folder to my new single player mission folder as instructed by the Readme file, but so far, the AI does not come me when I go down and call for help, even with default settings (all can heal). 

The readme section on AI behavior says, "[whether or not] an AI unit will help you depends on mission settings and what the mission designer has set up!"  I suppose this part is the main challenge, the part I'm hoping to learn.

The AIS setup file has one or two things preventing the player from using the heal function if you declared a medivac station,and in order to be able to heal units you need to specify which side or playable. I dont recommend using a side,just set it up to "playable" units.. its better if you read my config and copy it into your AIS setup.SQF . if you set it up as follows(SP as i havnt tested in MP) it will work

// by Psychobastard
// AIS REVIVE Setup-File

//__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
// v v v v v v v v v v v v  --- Main Settings --- v v v v v v v v v v v v

AIS_REVIVE_INIT_UNITS 		= 	"allPlayables"; // Auto-Init a group of units: "allPlayers" , "allPlayables" , "allUnits", "allUnitsBLUFOR", "allUnitsOPFOR", "allUnitsINDFOR", "allUnitsCIVILIAN"
												// Warning: I didn't recomment to use "allUnits" if you play with a lot of AI units! AIS is mainly created for players and/or their AI group.
AIS_MEDICAL_EDUCATION 		= 	0; 				// Who can revive an unconscious unit? 0 == Everybody, 1 == Everybody with a First Aid Kit or Medkit, 2 == Only Medics (this affects both, AI and players!).
AIS_REVIVE_GUARANTY 		= 	true;			// If true you will fall everytime in uncoscious mode, regardless how strong the impact of damage was.
AIS_MEDEVAC_STATIONS		=	[];// Add one or more objects and a radius to activate the medevac feature. If enabled revive is only at this place(s) possible. Empty array means feature is disabled.
												// Syntax: f.e.: [ [myMedevacVehicle, 15], [myMedicTent, 10] ]	--> make sure the variable name is avalible at gamestart. Otherwise call it later in a function.

//__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
//	v v v v v v v v v v v v  --- Optional Settings --- v v v v v v v v v v v v 

AIS_DAMAGE_TOLLERANCE_FACTOR = 	0.8; 				// A higher value means more damage tolerance. 1 is Vanilla. 0.8 mean all damage will reduce to 80% of Vanilla.
AIS_BLEEDOUT_TIME 			= 	500; 			// Basic life time in seconds until the unit bleed out and die.. The real life time depends on the real damage of the unit. (can be less or more time from the basic value)
AIS_REVIVETIME 				= 	45;				// Basic revive time in seconds. The real revive time depends on the real damage of the unit. (can be less or more time from the basic value)
AIS_STABILIZETIME 			= 	15;				// Basic stabilize time in seconds to stop the bleeding of a unconscious unit. The real revive time depends on the real damage of the unit. (can be less or more time from the basic value)
AIS_REVIVE_HEAL 			= 	true;			// If set to true the injured unit get completely healed after the revive. (casual gameplay without a medic)
AIS_TOGGLE_RADIO 			= 	true; 			// If set to true, unconscious players cannot use his TFAR or ACRE radios.
AIS_NO_CHAT 				= 	false; 			// If set to true, a injured player cannot use text chat during he is uncoscious.
AIS_AI_HELP_RADIUS 			= 	50; 			// Number, Radius in metres. Units in this radius will help to revive if no group member is able to revive. Max value is 200 metres.
AIS_DISABLE_RESPAWN_BUTTON	=	30;				// Time in seconds while the respawn button is disabled (Esc Menu). Set to 0 to enable the respawn button everytime.
AIS_DISABLE_FURTHER_DAMAGE	=	true;			// If set to true, an unconcious unit wont become further damage til death. If set to false, an unconcious unit can also die before bleedout timer is over. (f.e. trough near explosions)

//	v v v v v v v v v v v v  --- Visual Settings --- v v v v v v v v v v v v 

AIS_SHOW_UNC_MARKERS	 	=	true; 			// If set to true, a marker will show injured units on the map.
AIS_SHOW_UNC_MESSAGE_TO 	= 	"Group"; 		// "None", "Side", "Group" --> who read the message about wounded units.
AIS_SHOW_UNC_3D_MARKERS 	=	true; 			// If set to true, an in-game visible 3D-icon shows you the position of injured units (within a range of 20 metres and 35 metres for medics).
AIS_IMPACT_EFFECTS 			= 	true; 			// Set to true to enable impact effects. (simple simluation of supressing effects)
AIS_SHOW_COUNTDOWN 			= 	true; 			// If set to true, an unconscious unit will be able to see the bleed out timer.
AIS_SHOW_DIARYINFO 			= 	true; 			// If set to true, a diary entry with some informations about the AIS (Credits, features, How to) is added.

You will notice the first line i set it to "all playables" (make sure your units are set to playable,works with any playables so they can jjoin after mission initilaisaition)

Also within this file i removed the medivac station by removing the extra brackets so it no longer looks for a medivac and the "heal" function will appear after you AI is stabalized. Make sure your AI are in your squad and set to playable,press either "H" or use arma3's own menu function to report "injured" to get a squad mate to heal you.

AI dont heal each other in YOUR squad unless YOU order them to,but if other AI groups are setup with the revive they will heal each other.

RedArmy -- I got it to work!  Thanks!  I really appreciate it!

But (TLDR at end) it took some tinkering, because, with both vanilla AIS setup file and your file, I was getting some errors that seem to come from bad text characters that I don't see when pasting (unformatted) into wordpad or notepad -- but which appear as  "" if I REOPEN in wordpad, and as either "?" or "|#|" in Arma3 error boxes:

--------------
> INGAME ERROR #1 - Using the vanilla AIS_SETUP.sqf  (this error went away when I deleted everything within the brackets, as in your modified setup file):
AIS_MEDEVAC_STATIONS   =   [[|#|Medevac_Blackfish,10]];
Error Undefined variable in expression: medevac_blackfish
--------------
> INGAME ERROR #2 - Using RedArmy's modified AIS_SETUP.sqf:
'...\AIS\AIS_SETUP.sqf
|#|?
?
AIS_REVIVE_INIT_UNITS?? =  "all...'
Error Invalid number in expression
--------------

The unwanted "?" characters above I can actually SEE (as "") but only after RE-opening the same file specifically in wordpad:

- - - - - - - - - 

// by Psychobastard
// AIS REVIVE Setup-File

//
AIS_REVIVE_INIT_UNITS         =     "allPlayables"; //

- - - - - - - - - 

(As for the "|#|" characters from the vanilla setup file, I don't see them in Wordpad.)

FYI I always paste using "unformatted" when possible.

(If youre still willing to answer more questions...)

TLDR:
(1) Is wordpad generally OK to use for these purposes, or should I only use notepad?
(2) Even using notepad, these weird "" / "?"    chars were inserted even as unformatted text. Any idea what I did wrong?
(3) Any idea why they are visible to wordpad (after reopening), but not to notepad?

THANKS SO MUCH!

1. Better to use Notepad++ ( https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/ ). Add to that the Arma Syntax Highlighter and you are pretty much set. There are other more "professional" options, but N++ is simple and free.
  2. Copy/pasting between forums/web pages and documents can do this, apparently. It's a long-running issue here. Fortunately, these characters appear as red dots when you paste your code into a code block, making it easy to "clean" your code. See screenshots below.
  3. Wordpad is rich text, Notepad is plain text.

Code block:

tfleVif.png

Red dots:

9wjDtq1.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harzach said:
  1. Better to use Notepad++ ( https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/ ). Add to that the Arma Syntax Highlighter and you are pretty much set. There are other more "professional" options, but N++ is simple and free.
  2. Copy/pasting between forums/web pages and documents can do this, apparently. It's a long-running issue here. Fortunately, these characters appear as red dots when you paste your code into a code block, making it easy to "clean" your code. See screenshots below.
  3. Wordpad is rich text, Notepad is plain text.

Code block:

tfleVif.png

Red dots:

9wjDtq1.png

Actually this is a great suggestion. Iv got ++ On my rig i just never thought about it bypassing alot of those issues,good to know it does. Il start using that myself. Jesus only 9 years in Arma3 and knowing this just now

Neato, thanks Harzach.  The red highlights would appear when pasting to a forum, but not in Notepad++, right? 

RedArmy -- did you already edit the code block from earlier in this thread? (The unknown richtext characters no longer appear when I copy/paste from here to wordpad/notepad/notepad++.)

48 minutes ago, dgrrrhelp said:

Neato, thanks Harzach.  The red highlights would appear when pasting to a forum, but not in Notepad++, right? 

RedArmy -- did you already edit the code block from earlier in this thread? (The unknown richtext characters no longer appear when I copy/paste from here to wordpad/notepad/notepad++.)

No i didnt edit it. Actually sometimes when you "recopy" something,these odd characters arent there. So notepad actually still works in that regard,++ is better though.

1 hour ago, dgrrrhelp said:

On the forum, those character will display as red dots when pasted into a code block. They are not visible in N++, but if you have the syntax highlighter installed, they will usually break it, which is a good clue that something is wrong.