USMCx Titus

Check Client mods against Servers loaded mods?

I have seen a few servers do this, just can't figure out how to do it.

Basically, when joining a server, the clients mods are checked with the mods approved on the server, if any unapproved mods are present the client will be kicked and alerted to which mods are not approved.

Trying to figure out how to do this. Looking for help!

Hello, Welcome to BI forums!

On any server hosted or dedicated what your looking for will be in the server.cfg

the code you want is verifySignatures = 2;

Its basically signature verification

See my post here, and scroll down to where you see the Questions and answers section of the post:

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/174126-dear-mod-makers-sign-your-mods-its-easy/?do=findComment&comment=3243804

on the last page is a post i made of a video on how to sign your addon or mod.

Also review this page on the Arma 3 wiki

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Armed_Assault:_Addon_Signatures

it says its for Arma 1 but it all applies to Arma 3 as well.

So ideally if you wanted to check player's mods against what your server is running then you want your

mods signed, you also want the server to have a bikey file for each mod.

Any player joining that dont have the required mods that are set in the server's commandline with included

verify signatures in the server.cfg will be kicked.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Hello, Welcome to BI forums!

On any server hosted or dedicated what your looking for will be in the server.cfg

the code you want is verifySignatures = 2;

Its basically signature verification

See my post here, and scroll down to where you see the Questions and answers section of the post:

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/174126-dear-mod-makers-sign-your-mods-its-easy/?do=findComment&comment=3243804

on the last page is a post i made of a video on how to sign your addon or mod.

Also review this page on the Arma 3 wiki

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Armed_Assault:_Addon_Signatures

it says its for Arma 1 but it all applies to Arma 3 as well.

So ideally if you wanted to check player's mods against what your server is running then you want your

mods signed, you also want the server to have a bikey file for each mod.

Any player joining that dont have the required mods that are set in the server's commandline with included

verify signatures in the server.cfg will be kicked.

I had set this up exactly as you explained it, when I restarted my server it said every mod has a signature mismatch.

I have gone through and re-added each mods BIKEY to the servers keys folder. however after restarting the server, it shows that every mod has a signature mismatch, including my own mods that I have published.

9 hours ago, USMCx Titus said:

it shows that every mod has a signature mismatch, including my own mods that I have published.

Signature mistmatch is based on versions, if the mod on the server is a version 3 and you have version 4 of the same mod then

you will get a signature mismatch.

The signatures (bisigns) of the mods for the client have to be the same as the signatures on the server, same goes for the bikey.

When you sign a mod, all pbos of the mod will get a bisign, and then a bikey key will be produced to match the version.

So if you have uploaded your client side mod to run on the server and have those mods on the server set in the

server's commandline and you join the server with the same mods loaded through the arma 3 launcher you should have no issues.

However if you installed the mods via another method to the server, and then you joined the server with your mods then

theres the possibility of getting a signature mismatch which is rare, but it depends on where the server mods are coming from

in terms of where their being installed from, this is important for the sake of version.

To fix this:

1. If the server is a private server for you and your friends then just turn off battleye and disable verify signatures in the server.cfg

that will surely solve the issue, then just put a pw on the server and your set. This is what i do on my own server.

2. If its a public server then the issue will most likely be on the client side which is your end, or you joining the server.

So if you say all mods are getting a mismatch then theres the possibility that 2 things are happening, your bisigns need to be repaired

which you can do through the arma 3 launcher, or the server side mods bisigns are corrupt and need to be repaired too.

=========

Whats important to know here is, and this is a question for you is where did you install the mods

on the server from, are they from a GSP (game server provider) eg,. control panel/workshop, or did you upload the mods

yourself from your client onto the server?

On 12/4/2022 at 5:45 PM, Gunter Severloh said:

Signature mistmatch is based on versions, if the mod on the server is a version 3 and you have version 4 of the same mod then

you will get a signature mismatch.

The signatures (bisigns) of the mods for the client have to be the same as the signatures on the server, same goes for the bikey.

When you sign a mod, all pbos of the mod will get a bisign, and then a bikey key will be produced to match the version.

So if you have uploaded your client side mod to run on the server and have those mods on the server set in the

server's commandline and you join the server with the same mods loaded through the arma 3 launcher you should have no issues.

However if you installed the mods via another method to the server, and then you joined the server with your mods then

theres the possibility of getting a signature mismatch which is rare, but it depends on where the server mods are coming from

in terms of where their being installed from, this is important for the sake of version.

To fix this:

1. If the server is a private server for you and your friends then just turn off battleye and disable verify signatures in the server.cfg

that will surely solve the issue, then just put a pw on the server and your set. This is what i do on my own server.

2. If its a public server then the issue will most likely be on the client side which is your end, or you joining the server.

So if you say all mods are getting a mismatch then theres the possibility that 2 things are happening, your bisigns need to be repaired

which you can do through the arma 3 launcher, or the server side mods bisigns are corrupt and need to be repaired too.

=========

Whats important to know here is, and this is a question for you is where did you install the mods

on the server from, are they from a GSP (game server provider) eg,. control panel/workshop, or did you upload the mods

yourself from your client onto the server?

Should have updated this. the issue was resolved by increasing the servers steamProtocolMaxDataSize from default to 5120. The server was not able to properly transmit data to clients which effected the mods. - quoting from the hosting service provider

However after this another issue arose and I have been unable to resolve. the Service Provider was also unable to help which bummed me out as I waited nearly 10 hours for them to say they cant help but that is very typical for most providers anyways. The new issue is that some mods now say they have invalid keys, puzzling part is that two pbos that say they have invalid keys are apart of my mod which has several pbos signed by the same key.

We are a private server but we wish to keep verify signatures turned on as we are a milsim. we would like everyone to have the same mods and not some random ones. If you know of any fixes to the latest issue please let me know. some of these mods are very crucial to us as they provide us with some key features. 

Edited by USMCx Titus
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, USMCx Titus said:

the issue was resolved by increasing the servers steamProtocolMaxDataSize from default to 5120.

Good deal!

Thats good to know, by default in the server.cfg default is the  steamProtocolMaxDataSize = 1024;

so thats quite an increase.

In the Basic.cfg you can also tune your server's performance which im sure you may know already, this page here

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3:_Basic_Server_Config_File

provides default numbers for an arma server, those values you can tweak yourself based on your needs.

As for your new issue

4 hours ago, USMCx Titus said:

The new issue is that some mods now say they have invalid keys, puzzling part is that two pbos that say they have invalid keys

are apart of my mod which has several pbos signed by the same key.

My suggestion here is, delete the bikey's for the mods giving you issues and all the bisigns in the mod's folders, as well as

the private key your using to sign those particular mods and create a new private key and resign it, resigning will give you a new bikey.

Aside that another option, and i would do both is to delete whats on the server and reupload a fresh copy of the mods giving you issues, as sometimes the upload

of a mod to the sever can create a mismatch which will give you another type of error like mismatch in file size, even if your not getting such

error fresh copy would still at least eliminate any other possible contributing issue.

For your reference use this video to help sign a mod ----> LINK

3 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Good deal!

Thats good to know, by default in the server.cfg default is the  steamProtocolMaxDataSize = 1024;

so thats quite an increase.

In the Basic.cfg you can also tune your server's performance which im sure you may know already, this page here

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3:_Basic_Server_Config_File

provides default numbers for an arma server, those values you can tweak yourself based on your needs.

As for your new issue

My suggestion here is, delete the bikey's for the mods giving you issues and all the bisigns in the mod's folders, as well as

the private key your using to sign those particular mods and create a new private key and resign it, resigning will give you a new bikey.

Aside that another option, and i would do both is to delete whats on the server and reupload a fresh copy of the mods giving you issues, as sometimes the upload

of a mod to the sever can create a mismatch which will give you another type of error like mismatch in file size, even if your not getting such

error fresh copy would still at least eliminate any other possible contributing issue.

For your reference use this video to help sign a mod ----> LINK

I'll get on that now. just worked out some other files in my server.