Sign in to follow this  
theavonlady

The swordfish trilogy mission pack

Right before I unleash this I would like to say that none of this is in anyway directed at you (the avon lady). You have been extremely helpful as always and I thank you for helping me get my computer fixed wink.gif

As for the missions....

I have only played the first one, and have no intention of attempting any of the others. I have very good reasons for this. Firstly once launched I got out of the PBR and into the blackhawk only to discover that it wouldnt take off. When it finally did it then hovered inexplicably for about 2 mins and then did a short tour of the island and brought me back to where I started, going nowhere near the drop off point. Giving the author the benefit of the doubt, I tried again. This time when I got in it took off without waiting for my squad. Third time lucky I tried again (bear in mind there is a 4k boat ride to get to this point) and managed to get everyone in. It still waited in the air for ages and then finally moved. The cobras that were following hit each other twice, thankfully not so fast that they blew up. Then one crashed into the Blackhawk almost taking out me and my squad. When it finally did land at the LZ it let me get out and then tried to take off again. i quickly ordered my squad out and that seemd to hold it down, although it didn't properly land. It just hovered a metre off the ground. Then when I finally got the squad out and moved away I had to get a certain distance away before it would move away. Guess what happened... a loud bang signalled the cobras had smashed into each other and been destroyed. All this took place without a single shot being fired in anger. The briefing is very good, as is the cutscene at the start. Also the placement of other untis to set the backdrop is good. The scripting is the worst I have ever seen in a mission. I daren't go on as I feel my veins may well rupture under the pressure of the blood flowing through them if I did. Thanks for your help wink.gifbiggrin.gif but the poor scripting makes the mission unplayable sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (chris330 @ Feb. 26 2003,00:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">but the poor scripting makes the mission unplayable sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Since you're the only one to have report this so far, I have to ask you:

1. What version of OFP are you playing?

2. Do you have a no-CD crack installed or any program the might be neutralizing OFP's SafeDisc2 protection?

I am playing version 1.85, and don't have anything of the like that you mentioned installed. I never have any problems with the scripting in other missions at all. I'll try downloading the missions again and re-installing them and see if that makes a difference wink.gif

I think there was only 1 time in the numerous times that I played these missions both before and while making the Trilogy Pack that I had problems with a chopper not continuing.

There is indeed a problem that you should have your squad AIs board the helo before you do or the helo might take off without waiting. I mention that in the MOM review.

This is indeed true, but surely after all this you could see my frustration when one of the cobras nearly took me out and then smashed into each other. I'll give it another go and hope that maybe it was just having a seriously bad day tounge.gif

Well i have to say i got past that first insertion bit nightmare and I am very glad I stuck at it. These are great missions!!!!

Atmosphere builds very quickly, addons mix very well with each other. I have only got part way into the first mission and I love it. Such a shame about the first bit. I have to say however after only a few minutes playing my fears and frustrations had completely vanished and i realised I was having tremendous fun. You really feel a sense of excitement when playing this like your'e always expecting the author to throw something unexpected at you, which he does. Yep, you were right to release these they are superb wink.gifbiggrin.gif If get enough complaints about the first part I'll happily sotr out the chopper scripting for you if you want? Anyway thanks again, I'm delighted to have that first wobble over biggrin.giftounge.gif

There is no picture for the Car15 on the gear screen, is this normal?

Derek

And Ex-RoNiN, yes I know this is an old thread, but would you really rather that I'd started a new one? smile_o.gif

There is no picture for the Car15 on the gear screen, is this normal?

maybe its an addon problem.

I have it too.

I am enjoying these missions very much.

Although the helicopter insertion in the first mission (perhaps the second missions as well) seems to be a bit of a crapshoot. Although, rushing directly from the boat to the chopper seems to minimize hiccups during insertion.

I am wondering what are some effective strategies for the first mission.

On my first attempt, I split up my squad into three 3-4 man fireteams, assaulting each of the three occupied towns as I go. In Vernon, I was caught off guard (I do not wish to spoil this for those that have not played it) and half of my squad was wiped out.

On my second attempt, I once again split my squad into the same fireteams, but this time we traveled south on the western side of the hill leading into the "Arizona Valley", bypassing the towns. We crepted through the forest towards St. Pierre and knocked off maybe a dozen or more enemies soldiers, before retreating after the Soviets dropped the dime on us. Although, squad unites 3 and 11 (holy crap that was my MEDIC!!) were not successful in their attempt to dodge bullets and seek cover. We rushed back up the hill, exiting the forest and back down, opposite of the forces in St. Pierre. I wasn't sure if the enemy was hunting me down or not, but it sounded like it. We hiked down the hill heading south, seeking cover in nearby trees. I searched the downed Blackhawk, but was unable to find any extra ammo. (Is there a reason for this? I was reeeaallly counting on that extra ammo.) Right now, my fireteams are perched below the trees overlooking St. Pierre. However, there is a T80 keeping watch and we've only two RPGs. One idea I was mildly successful with was sneaking down to the battlefield from our previous retreat to steal AK ammunition and rockets, but from there on out, I'm not sure what I'll do.

Anyway, just seeking any tips on approach and to share my experience with this bad ass mission. I'm using WGL btw, I can't imagine how much more difficult this mission would be with default NVGs, although getting injured really turns up the intensity with the blackouts and no medic.