Sign in to follow this  
Guest BratZ

Gizmo mapping

Guest BratZ

Hi,

I been making textures and I really need to learn the gizmo mapping

I realize its prolly basic modelling to some but I did some research and alot of programs have different features than the one in O2,I only gained a basic knowledge

If someone could explain even a little of what some does would help.

I experimented some but can't even figure out how to stop it from tile applying

I am going to figure it out,I am going to map a grid till I do,

my main objective is mostly for box or cylinder like objects (plane hull and wings)

I'd like to apply 1 texture to the whole body

My plane has a few stretched textures and there is practically no way I am going to match the texture with the planar method

Any descriptions of the functions?

somone told me its mainly used for texturing cylinder shapes, but i dont know how to use it yet... i need to ask how.. hopefully i get the aswer soon smile.gif

If you look in the view windows you can see 3 coloured axis (green, red and purple)

Move into these views and you can Move the axis, rotate and change its size. Move the axis until they are next to a cylinder with say the green line pointing from the bottom of the cylinder and long enough to touch the top of it.

Then muck about with all the other settings until you get something that works smile.gif One of the cylindric ones and I click wrap u and wrap v at random until it works. You might have to rotate the axis 90 degrees around the green axis.

Remember to load a texture.

If you can make it work to do anything else please post itseems to be a very low powered tool compared to other 3D programs....

...on the other hand it is free.

smile.gif

If noone really knows how to use gizmo completely. Can someone give me a few hints on how to be an effective skinner ?

stuff like:

-technics to mark "hard to reach" vertices

-unmark a single vertice

Because I have'nt seen a "complete" skinning guide anywhere.

I had a hard time texturing the lower outer part of a car-wheel the other day.

hehe got allmost dizzy trying to find the best suitable camera-angle biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance to whoever that deserves credit wink.gif

To select a vertice CNTL + mouse

unselect SHFT + CNTL + mouse

As for areas I end up having about 50 named selections in my main working lod, things like (its a tank) body, body_top, body_sides, body_rear etc. I dont use these names anywhere else they are just so I can isolate certain areas using hide and unhide

CNTL H hide selected

CNTL I invert selected

SHFT CNTL H unhide

Does nayone enjoy texturing, I have my model essentially done but I can't face photoshop after a day in work.

Thank you for the hotkeys, scousejedi

I have'nt dug much into the different functions in O2 yet.

I can see the hide/unhide-function will be very helpful.

I was'nt aware of the SHF+CTRL+mouse either. Been marking with CTRL+mouse and as soon as I got a vertice wrong I had to start all over again. I was looking for a function like that smile.gif

cheers

edit: As for your "50 named selections" with the hide-function, is that the same as grouping a number of vertices together (for easier selecting a section of an object)?

Guest BratZ

Wow great! Exactly what I needed.Haven't gotten back on it yet.But thank you very much

I can add help once I figure some out

Yes shadow there should be a window named selections, I highlight the verticies I want and then right click in this window, new and type a name.

EVERY time you manipulate these vertexes - say by changing the faces or something remember to REDEFINE the selection. Otherwise it looks like bits of your model are disappearing

Bratz, if your talking about Gizmo I have only managed to use it for texturing a gun barrel - 10 sided cone, everything else I select a face, set view to face, load texture B and then go to photoshop to tweak the texture, repeat until sick/texture on that face looks right then go to the next one.

I have total respect for texturers, my soul bleeds when I start photoshop.

About the texturing... seeing as that job is the worst, can you texture it completely in 3DSMAX5 and just import the model with the textures into O2?

I only ask because a very good friend of mine (who happends to be outstanding in 3d-modelling and texturing in 3DS + loves OFP) is going to make the models while I learn my way in O2 completing them.

Guest BratZ

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shadow @ Feb. 12 2003,18:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If noone really knows how to use gizmo completely. Can someone give me a few hints on how to be an effective skinner ?

stuff like:

-technics to mark "hard to reach" vertices

-unmark a single vertice

Because I have'nt seen a "complete" skinning guide anywhere.

I had a hard time texturing the lower outer part of a car-wheel the other day.

hehe got allmost dizzy trying to find the best suitable camera-angle biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance to whoever that deserves credit wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Hey if you select the face and pick ...

surfaces/ fit bkgr from selection

It will fit your texture to your selected face

To unselect vertices hold cntrl-shift and pick (make sure vertex select mode is picked and not object)

Hard to reach...

I use a combination of mostly hiding and sometimes the 3d view window.I mostly pick the object I want to texture and pick in the menu or cntrl I (invert selection)

Then all other is selected and press Cntrl H to hide it

When you are done...press Cntrl A to select all (even stuff that is hidden) and then press Cntrl shift H to Unhide all

I learned quite a few tricks,I may post some help topics,but there certainly are better texturers than me

Guest BratZ

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (scousejedi @ Feb. 12 2003,20:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes shadow there should be a window named selections, I highlight the verticies I want and then right click in this window, new and type a name.

EVERY time you manipulate these vertexes - say by changing the faces or something remember to REDEFINE the selection. Otherwise it looks like bits of your model are disappearing<span id='postcolor'>

Really? Hmm ,have to redefine....I didn't know that

Everytime you change a face,OMG

Also remember that when you copy and paste from a named selection,the pasted part will also be part of the original

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">About the texturing... seeing as that job is the worst, can you texture it completely in 3DSMAX5 and just import the model with the textures into O2?

<span id='postcolor'>

yes

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AKM74 @ Feb. 21 2003,21:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">About the texturing...  seeing as that job is the worst, can you texture it completely in 3DSMAX5 and just import the model with the textures into O2?

<span id='postcolor'>

yes<span id='postcolor'>

Cool.

Thanks smile.gif

But O2 does'nt support 3DS texture-tag-something right?

....because I got an error earlier when my buddy had textured the modell in 3DS with some 3DS texturing-plugin/tool.

I was just curious as I suspect i will have similar problems when texturing the wheels on a truck I am currently working on. Is it possible to select a number of isolated vetices or faces on an already textured object and just apply a new texture over just the selected parts while retaining the texture over the rest of the object? If this is possible it would make removing texture stretching on the faces of wheels easy. wink.gif

CTRL+SHIFT+Leftclick vertices to select them

All other faces will keep their textures.

Redefine only when you add/delete faces or vertexes. You can move them OK.

OK - I have just used Gizmo to texture a gun barrel.

1. Create area on texture like unfurled wallpaper - roughly big enough for you cylinder opened out.

2. Select the faces on the cylinder - I was in the top window with the cylinder looking top - bottom

3. Press 'G' to enter Gizmo mode

4. Click the folder button and load your texture

5. Manipulate the shadowed area until it coveres the area of the testure you will to be applied.

5a. Right click on one of the windows, move the 3 coloured axis around until the green goes from the bottom to the top of the cylinder.

5b. You can rescale the gizmo, I kept all colours the same length.

5c Move the coloours in the other windows so they centre on the centre of the cylinder

6. Cylindric (X,distance) and don't click any of the wrap U/V

7. Preview and OK

Bingo