Sign in to follow this  
terox

Map filenames, not to be changed

During an OFPEC discussion, it was made evident that some mapmakers do not want their map filenames changing.

So i have created this thread, to encourage them to post the names of these maps here

It is under the discretion of the Admin, what he wants to do, however renaming without permission may lead to legal proceedings

Your choices as i see it are

1) to remove these maps from his server.

2) seek permission to change the filename from the mapmaker

3) leave the map unchanged

Please do Not change the map filenames listed below

You can find the respective thread here. Feel free to step into the discussion.

Note that you also need the permission of the mission makers who are not listed in this thread before you can change a mission name. You are not on the safe side whatsoever if you haven't asked the mission maker before you rename the mission, wether he's in this thread or not.

How in god's name can you claim that you will take legal action? Do you have a copyright or patent on it? It would be virtually impossible to prove intellectual property theft.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sseagle @ Feb. 05 2003,22:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How in god's name can you claim that you will take legal action? Do you have a copyright or patent on it? It would be virtually impossible to prove intellectual property theft.<span id='postcolor'>

Read the thread at OFPEC and have a good laugh...

Edit: just realized this was my 600th post - ha, Avon, lookout, here I come! tounge.gifbiggrin.gif

Odd, i was expecting those that took part in the ongoing ofpec discussion to have posted their map names by now,  its obviously not that important to them

Just wondering how anybody could prove who's map is who's anyway

Seeing as most dont bother to put their name or contact email in crazy.gif

So if i made the statement,

"All the maps that have no contact name or author name are mine and you can do with them as you like"

Would this stop the babble!

Have they decided on tea or coffee yet?

LOL you guys still don't get it do you?

The point made in the OFPEC thread wasn't about legallity (Though Sefe jumped into the technicalities of that because he is an expert in the field)... this is the internet and there's no money involved!

It was about respect. Anyway, if anyone else is interested they can read the OFPEC thread... no point talking if no one is listening wink.gif

I think the reason you don't get it is simply because you don't want to get it... you'd rather do the easy thing that the right thing...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sui @ Feb. 06 2003,23:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think the reason you don't get it is simply because you don't want to get it... you'd rather do the easy thing that the right thing...<span id='postcolor'>

We get that Sui, but what abourt the respect to the people running the servers as a free service where mission makers can have their stuff hosted - I saw nothing of that in the thread. Sorry, but this is a two-sided issue - nobody denies mission makers their due respect, but please we don't really have to listen to rants like Sefe's or your's, either.

To ask respect from someone you have to act in a way that you deserve it - and some people participating in that discussion still have to prove that to me (and will have a hard time after how they acted there).

Also me, Terox and others are mission makers, too - a tiny bit of information that has been ignored during the whole discussion there.

Said the female mapmaker to the admin

"Will u respect me in the morning"

"Of course i will"

and the game went on!!!

Of course I get it, and i treat it with the contempt it deserves

Far more important things to worry about

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sui @ Feb. 06 2003,18:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">LOL you guys still don't get it do you?

The point made in the OFPEC thread wasn't about legallity (Though Sefe jumped into the technicalities of that because he is an expert in the field)... this is the internet and there's no money involved!

It was about respect. Anyway, if anyone else is interested they can read the OFPEC thread... no point talking if no one is listening wink.gif

I think the reason you don't get it is simply because you don't want to get it... you'd rather do the easy thing that the right thing...<span id='postcolor'>

I can't respect someone who thinks they "Own" a bunch of 1's and 0's

We are all made of little 1's and 0's

Of course we (me and my fellow admins on only OUR server) can mail and ask permission to every mapmaker we host a map by but I hope that they are prepared to get a lot of mails wink.gif since every server will have to mail them, asking permission. A similar concern, how long do we have to wait for answers? Many email-adresses, I guess, is not valid anymore and some mapmakers have left the community altogether and others maybe plainly will not care to answer.

That will be too bad since that will mean that we can't rename them and in many cases they will be a) renamed anyway and then we (or atleast the server-owners), according to Sefe and few others, open up ourselves for being sued OR b) we'll remove the maps and then everyone will lose, the mapmakers, the serveradmins and most of all the players. The servers need the mapmakers to make interesting maps otherwise we can shutdown but on the same time, the dedictaed servers is the way to reach most mp-players and if that way is "closed" many maps will not reach the community.

And then to a big problem, who will take charge of asking every mapmaker and where will that information be stored so we don't have to ask permission over and over again (annoying for everybody) for the same map just because we don't know that the mapmaker already had been asked....

Well, time to start removing maps since we had our own renaming system in work but we can't have that can we?