_S_I_N_

T.16000M HOTAS - Teething problems, troubles flying and throttle problems.

I recently bought a T.16000M  HOTAS. This was because I can't fly at all using keyboard and mouse. Well, not very well. I can take off but landing is just slow and tedius, not to mention risky.

I've been trying this HOTAS and ran into a few issues.

The throttle for one. I know it is supposed to simulate a real throttle, so in the middle or 0 is just neutral. The problem is this throttle doesn't have a middle mark, so have to guess where the damn thing is. 

I also can't figure out how to fly using the joystick. If i want to make a sharp turn, do I tilt the joystick only? Tilt and twist? Twist in the opposite of the tilt?

I will admit, this is depressing me, as I spent all this money on this setup and I fly worse now than I did with the keyboard. I know practice helps, but the controls don't feel right, the throttle doesn't feel right. Do I fly with the advanced mode on? Or off?

Any advice, tips, tricks and bindings would be really useful.

Try watching this video by Feint:

Re: showing where the middle of your throttle is - go to options > game > show gauges.

Keep going, using HOTAS is really satisfying once it's set up and I'd never go back to keyboard and mouse.

On 12/14/2020 at 12:21 PM, _S_I_N_ said:

I recently bought a T.16000M  HOTAS. This was because I can't fly at all using keyboard and mouse. Well, not very well. I can take off but landing is just slow and tedius, not to mention risky.

Congratulations with your HOTAS. In my experience flying with the HOTAS is not necessarily easier then mouse and keyboard. I have a good quality joystick, but still the movement doesn't always translate well to the game. I think this has been discussed in the past that in Arma there is still a tiny lag that flight simulators and reality don't have. I think the people who do the spectacular KOTH flying stunts all use mouse and keyboard. I like using the HOTAS a lot, it's more fun and more realistic. You have to accept that in the beginning you're flying really bad, and it can take many hours to get good at it.

For the manoeuvering:

- I fly with advanced model and I have the advanced HUD on the screen. One of the dials on the right will show the 'throttle power'. Some aircraft have helmet huds which also display power. You don't have to rely on the markings on the throttle. In fact, HOTAS, hands on throttle and stick, is meant so that you don't have to look around in your 'cockpit'.

- For turning you 'bank', by moving the joystick sideways, but you also 'yaw' a little using your rudder pedals, or twisting the joystick if you don't have pedals. Please notice that in real life, just banking alone would cause a turn, but in Arma a banked plane tends to go straight on. This is a limitation of the Arma flight simulation system. For really sharp turns you put the joystick sideways and then pull on it!

Thanks both.

I've run into another issue, which may effect my heli flying.

If I use the pedal (which I originally bound to Q and E) I can turn the heli a full 180 degrees within about 5 seconds.

If I then bind the same pedals to the twist of my HOTAS, it goes much slower. Over double the time to turn 180 degrees. 

I can't figure out why. Surely the twist (like any axis) is -100/0/+100? So at +100 it should be full speed right? This doesn't happen with this. The settings show that I am going to +100 when I twist, so I'm baffled. 

Adjust the sensitivity of your twist in the controls.

One thing to think about though is removing the keybindings from your keyboard - there's an issue where it halves the input (sensitivity) from your controllers. This means your throttle loses sensitivity which is really crucial for getting into a hover (as shown in Feint's videos).

Hi

@_S_I_N_ You probably have figured this out since, but on the offchance you haven't - I'm currently in the process of documenting and requesting a fix for this issue.

What's likely caused the issue for you, is that you've had multiple analogue axis bound to the same action - and here Arma trips up, and sums the distance of the axis (or something like it) rather than treating them seperately.
E.g. you hit your "W" key for Forward Cycle, and it does it quickly - but with your joystick at its same "max setting" it doesn't.

For me the issue was that on top of my joystick, I had my xbox controller and its thumb-stick axis bound as well to "Forward",  "Backward", pedals etc.

Removing any other axis from they key bind should solve your issue, hope this helps.

I'm making a post for the devs now on the issue, just did a quick search for topics similar to see if it'd already been adressed, but it appears not.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 8:27 AM, Ferrius said:

Hi

@_S_I_N_ You probably have figured this out since, but on the offchance you haven't - I'm currently in the process of documenting and requesting a fix for this issue.

What's likely caused the issue for you, is that you've had multiple analogue axis bound to the same action - and here Arma trips up, and sums the distance of the axis (or something like it) rather than treating them seperately.
E.g. you hit your "W" key for Forward Cycle, and it does it quickly - but with your joystick at its same "max setting" it doesn't.

For me the issue was that on top of my joystick, I had my xbox controller and its thumb-stick axis bound as well to "Forward",  "Backward", pedals etc.

Removing any other axis from they key bind should solve your issue, hope this helps.

I'm making a post for the devs now on the issue, just did a quick search for topics similar to see if it'd already been adressed, but it appears not.

Thanks for the suggestion!
I decided to use a VKB stick and had the same issues as described earlier albeit only in A3.
Removing the other inputs from the key mapping as you suggested worked!