strikekat

Linux Dedicated Server - AI Doesn't Move

Hi, I apologize if this is something really stupid or obvious. I've done a ton of googling and forum searching and maybe I'm just not searching the right terms.

I've been hosting Arma3 off my machine for co-op for years, but finally set up a dedicated server in Docker on my home Linux server. If it makes any difference - I'm running the client locally on Linux under Proton.. but it runs perfectly fine on SP missions or if hosting MP directly.

Both are completely stock, no mods loaded on client or server.

My friend and I have no issues connecting and playing our characters, but most of the time, we're seeing issues where most of the AI is in this weird half-frozen state.

They are stuck in a half-crouching position and do not move. If they see me, they will turn with no animation and shoot at me, but otherwise make no movement unless I kill them and they ragdoll.

I've only tried the built-in Combat Ops and Escape Stratis missions, as well as DRO Stratis. The team AI spawned in DRO are generated standing up normally, but do not respond to any commands (besides a vocal affirmation).

This isn't all AI units, either. We played the Escape mission, and maybe only half of the enemy units spawned were in this frozen state, while others patrolled normally, and the team AI was normal here. Enemy vehicles seem to drive around normally, and troops coming out of the vehicles act normally.

What's frustrating is that it's not 100% consistent. I played a Combat Ops mission on the server by myself last night and the AI all acted normally. Trying it several times today, it's doing the frozen thing for nearly all of them. Same map and parameters.

I've tried DRO with Dynamic Sim turned on and off, no difference. Watched all the output coming from the server container, and nothing that remotely looks like a cause of the issue. Even thought maybe the server wasn't getting enough resources or something stupid, but it has plenty of overhead CPU/Memory-wise.

I was wondering that maybe pre-placed units are in that state, while the dynamically spawned ones are normal, but I'd have to do more testing to really know.

Here's a screenshot of what they look like: https://imgur.com/a/33GoYAb

Appreciate any help with this, thank you!

• Like 1

I have exactly the same issue on my Ubuntu 20.04 with Linux using x64 binary (not sure about x32). I think the setup on Windows worked just fine, or I missed something.

I see error spam in rpt logs:

Error: Neither Geometry nor LandContact level is present in model a3\weapons_f\empty.p3d

not sure if its related.

EDIT:
and for some reason, some other  AI units work just fine. Exactly speaking, I'm hosting Exile mod server, and AI spawned using DMS mission script on a mission have that issue, but AI spawned through the different script but which uses DMS in different scenario works fine? Spawned vehicles with AI inside also work fine, and after they eject from the vehicle they also work fine.

Workaround - if you spawn vehicle then put ai inside it then move it out then AI works fine, example: 😄 

private _vehPos = [83.6971,17726.9,0.00132751];
private _veh = "C_Offroad_01_F" createVehicle _vehPos;

private _unit = (createGroup east) createUnit ["B_RangeMaster_F", _vehPos, [], 0,"CAN_COLLIDE"];
_unit moveInAny _veh;
moveout _unit;
deleteVehicle _veh;
[group _unit, getPos _unit, 1000] call BIS_fnc_taskPatrol;

• Like 1

Another workaround:

{
	_x setUnconscious true; sleep 3; _x setUnconscious false;
} forEach allUnits;

• Like 1

My acquaintance had the same problem for Linux DS.

There are two mods in use that can have a big impact: CBA, ACE3.

There is no problem in single play, but during MP missions on dedicated servers, the lower body of certain units freezes.

Attempts to shoot at the player by twisting the upper body in an animation sitting on a chair.
https://imgur.com/a/IuI2Pcn

We have found that this issue reliably occurs on this server when the unit group's course of action is set to safe.
So I tried to work around this issue by syncing the trigger with the group leader and using setBehaviour to set it to Safe after a few seconds.
As a result, about half of the units worked fine, while the rest remained the same.

Waypoints, West/East, weapons, armor, class names, ranks, and animations are probably irrelevant.
I also had 100% the same problem when I copied the unit that had the problem.
There seems to be a cause for each unit. But I still haven't found any regularity.

If anyone has any information, please let me know. Linux DS, AI behavior, workarounds, etc.