Sign in to follow this  
IceFire

Problems moving in a chopper

I've been using the mission editior to test out a few commands.

What I'm doing is putting myself in a squad of like 5 russians. Far away is an empty Hind. I give my leader the waypoint to "MOVE" to a point about 50 yards from the hind, then to "GET IN" the hind, and then to "GET OUT" at a point at another end of the island.

What usually happens is we finally all get into the hind, and leader says "all, move to delta etc ..", referring to the point on the other end of the island. But then another man (usually number 2) yells "can't get there" or "negative", at which point the leader turns off the engine and orders us out.

The only time I can get it to work is as soon as number 2 yells "can't get there", I get out, and then get back in. Then we fly to the last waypoint to get out.

Anyone know what's going on?

Thanx

IceFire

Shoot, I forgot to add:

Anyone know where I can learn to use triggers and markers?

Also, what do each of the waypoints mean? For example, what is the difference between "GET OUT", "UNLOAD", and "UNLOAD CARGO"?

Anyways

Thanx

IceFire

well get out would not be the proper command if you want the soldiers to disembark. You should tell the chopper to move to the area you want the soldiers to disembark and choose "TRANSPORT UNLOAD". If you want mor info on Waypoints and all that good stuff, i sugest you try out www.ofpec.com theres wealths of info there.

wow.gif5--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sgt. Milkman @ Jan. 18 2003,08wow.gif5)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You should tell the chopper to move to the area you want the soldiers to disembark and choose "TRANSPORT UNLOAD".<span id='postcolor'>

So once we are in the chopper I need to add 2 extra waypoints at our destination?  One "MOVE", and one "TRANSPORT UNLOAD"?

Also, I already went to OFPEC.  You have to download all their tutorials.

I just want to know what all the waypoints mean, and how to use triggers.

Thanks

Ok, instead of using the "GET OUT" waypoint, I used "TRANSPORT UNLOAD".

But I didn't use any "MOVE" command to our final destination. Just the "TRANSPORT UNLOAD".

This time, we arrived at our destination all right. But once we got there, we didn't land. Just kept on hovering in the air.

No no, I want this to be done totally by waypoints. It should be possible.

What if I were to be an American soldier camping by the russians final destination as they were in the chopper.

I wouln't be able to give them orders then.

Since you're using an empty helicopter, that means that 'transport unload' is not the WP you need. Sorry milkman, but GET OUT is correct in this situation, cos you want the driver and gunner to get out as well.

What the WP types do (to the best of my knowledge):

GET IN: Get into the vehicle. Fill crew positions and cargo positions (crew first).

LOAD: Board the vehicle. Fill cargo positions only.

GET OUT: Get out of the vehicle. Affects all group members regardless of vehicle position.

UNLOAD: Get out of the vehicle. Affects only group members in cargo positions.

TRANSPORT UNLOAD: This group unloads a transported group. Might also unload group members in cargo positions, not sure.

I just made the same setup you described and got it to work (with the usual helicopter meanderings before it finds the landing point) by doing this:

Player is not the group leader.

Hind (Mi17) is EMPTY

Invisible H at the landing point

WP1: MOVE

(place this WP near the chopper)

WP2: GET IN (place this WP DIRECTLY on the chopper when you create it. If you've done it right, you shouldn't be able to move it without moving the chopper too)

WP3: MOVE (over the other side of the island)

WP4: GET OUT (place this WP DIRECTLY on an invisible H or visible H. Again, if you've placed it right, you should not be able to move it without moving the H as well)

WP5: MOVE (somewhere near the H - if you don't do this, sometimes they don't get out.)

This worked fine for me (OFP v1.91)

There are a number of non-wp methods of landing a chopper, including some that use no WPs at all, or use markers, or use triggers and markers - even methods that are totally script/function based.

If you want to use markers, check the comref. The commands are all there. Triggers are just that. When a condition is true, the trigger goes off and executes the code in the On Activation field of the trigger. You will need to know how to script to take advantage of this, unless you just want to play with the Effects section of a trigger (sounds, camera effects, music and on-screen text). A trigger (type: SWITCH) can also be used to 'skip' waypoints by synchronising the trigger with the WP.

If you want anything more complex, I suggest you try OFPEC again.

Cheers,

CareyBear

Whatever you do, don't use the get out waypoint if you want to let the troops disembark. the get out waypoint tells the chopper crew to get out (instead of your cargo)

Thanks CareyBear,

I tried that without the invisible H, and it worked just as well.