aurora1-4

Limit falling object speed

Hi there,

Trying to limit a falling objects speed. Object is empty.

I have already tried limitSpeed and forceSpeed, both of which do not work.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, 7erra said:

limitSpeed and forceSpeed are AI related commands, not physics related ones. Try playing around with setVelocityModelspace.

Excellent suggestion.  You would want to setVelocityModelSpace in a loop, where you reduce the negative z value (for example, if the z value for the falling object is -10, then set it to -5 to make it fall 50% slower).

You can also try setMass to set the mass much lower for the falling object.  It may fall slower if lighter (I'm not sure about this though).

On 1/28/2020 at 11:49 PM, johnnyboy said:

Excellent suggestion.  You would want to setVelocityModelSpace in a loop, where you reduce the negative z value (for example, if the z value for the falling object is -10, then set it to -5 to make it fall 50% slower).

This but remember that falling objects may tumble, better use just setVelocity and probably do it on each frame. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mrcurry said:

on each frame.

on each frame is a bit tricky in MP because not every client switches frames at the exact same time.

50 minutes ago, 7erra said:

on each frame is a bit tricky in MP because not every client switches frames at the exact same time.

I would expect just adding the on each handler where to vehicle is local and let the net code sort out the rest would be good enough. I haven't played OnEachFrame and physics much so the stutter may be too nasty, but then again so would any scripted solution in that case.