Sign in to follow this  
kronovan

Is it Possible to Build Air Fields and Airbases?

My apologies for having such a n00b question, but I'm completely novice when it comes to ArmA 3 modding.

So my question is simple: is it possible to build both grass air fields and airbases with paved runways?

I'm aware of the airport-related objects in the Eden Editor, so that seems to hint at the possibility. In the back of my head though is my once-upon-a-time experience building a small commercial air field for Flight Simulator 2002. With that project I recall there being tricky issues with flattening terrain and that it was far more effort that it was claimed to be. So I'm keen to hear if such issues exist for ArmA 3 and whether the modding tools and game engine effectively supports such custom structures?

4 hours ago, kronovan said:

So my question is simple: is it possible to build both grass air fields and airbases with paved runways?

What the AI use for a runway is set in the config, you could set them to use a road for all they care.

So field or paved it doesn't matter

ROF thanks for the reply - good to know. I was actually hoping to make air fields or airbases that players could use too. I'm currently playing through the campaign and doing a lot of Zeus'en on Global Mobilization's Werfelingen map. I'm finding the map lacking though, because it doesn't have any airfields or airbases, while the GM DLC does have some AA vehicles - namely the Shilka and Panzerflak. That's got me currently taking off in CUPs A-10A Thunderbolt II and Sukhoi SU-25 from a couple of harvested wheat fields to test out that AA.  🙂  I was hoping  to create and add 2 air fields on opposing sides of that map, but TBH don't even know if that's possible?

I've gone through a tutorial on the A3 Terrain Builder and building such structures certainly seems doable, but as I said above I'm very n00b to this. How, or even if you can, place such structures on an existing map, is something I'm not sure of?