Sign in to follow this  
-GR-Gounta{Ldr}

Linux server? what about linux client!

All I here is Linux Server this and that, I have only heard a couple of people speak out about this.

Just about every other game has a Linux client, why doesn't OFP or Resistance have one???

(e.g. they are still working on a Linux client for NWN and it has been 6 months or so......they have just about completed it....now that is dedication to the people!wink.gif

Have you even considered how many people would love a Linux client or is it just tipically "Financially Unviable" like the tipical company?

I know many people who have brought your game but have not switched over to linux because of how cool OFP is. Linux is the second largest OS in the world......why do you only cater to the largest? This is taking the fredom of some people away from them cauz they have to have that useless OS from Microsoft called Windows.

I can name several games that have Linux clients......they have finnished the Civilization 3 client (or just about finnished it.....been a while since I went to their site), Half-Life has a Linux Client.....If you guys want to bring the game back.....put out a Linux Client!

[GR]Gounta{Ldr}

Grim Reapers Clan Site

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([GR]Gounta{Ldr} @ Jan. 06 2003,13:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just about every other game has a Linux client<span id='postcolor'>

heh... I really wish that was true

Their is a program you can use to play nearly all games for Windows on Linux.....the major problem is really that Direct X since their is no real port to it on Linux. The major problem in the Direct X is the 3D side or it. That is why Bioware are creating a Linux client themselves since the game uses Direct 3D.

[GR]Gounta{Ldr}

Grim Reapers Clan Site

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([GR]Gounta{Ldr} @ Jan. 06 2003,13:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Their is a program you can use to play nearly all games for Windows on Linux.<span id='postcolor'>

I wish that would be true too wink.gif Wine(X) runs rather few games actually and those which it runs most run rather slow.

Don't forget "with weird effects".

Ah, if only Loki software would come back, with their lovely native ports...*daydreams*

wine x is slow i use the cvs verson still many games wont work with it and the ones that do r too slow. Games that i have with linux clients and play the most, RTCW UT and its mods, and ut 2003 first major game to come with linux support outa the box, doom 3 will have linux verson and so will RTCW sequel comin soon. I jus want linux client for il2 FB and ofp.

All I want is a Linux Client for OFP.......NWN has just about finished the Linux Client......Civilization 3 has also nearly finnished Linux Client.

Would you think the guys who developed OFP would make a Linux Client?

Helltoupee.......you from Australiasia? If so how ya been? Long time no see smile.gif What Linux do you have? Do you know what Debian is like?

[GR]Gounta{Ldr}

Grim Reapers Clan Site

There are really FEW games that have linux clients. Around 20 i would guess, maybe a little more. Most of them were done by Loki before they've gone broke. Half-Life has NO linux client. You could run HL with wine(x) for a while but with valve anticheat software the emulated (i know: wine is not an emulator) gets "detected" as cheat and kicked from multiplayer games. Or at least it did with the first versions of vac.

Regarding performance wine is no real solution imho. Most loki ports were FASTER with linux than with win. There was an article about UT2003 just now which stated that less then 1% of the players connect to the servers with linux clients. This most probably means that there are very few players who bought it for linux (i don't think anyone would buy UT2003 to play against bots all the time). So linux clients do not pay off (yet). Most players, even when linux users, boot into windows to play and buy the windows games. If there were a linux version of ofp goty i would buy it. But, how many more ppl would do that?

Things may change, there seem to be games with linux clients (out or at least promised) which are not ported by 3rd parties but by the developers (or hired teams) themselves (ut2k3, nwn). And i think this is very good for lilnux as a whole cause with more gamers using linux the hardware vendors are more likely to make (good) drivers for linux.

But i don't think there will be linux client for ofp. Maybe for ofp2. I'm happy enough that there is a linux server at last biggrin.gif

Propably the main problem in porting OFP to Linux is the fact that its so much tied to DirectX, using it for graphics, sound and propably input too. Although the current Glide code could propably be rather easy to convert to OpenGL code (the two are quite similar) sound and input code would need a total rewriting. It might not be a huge work to do, but im not sure if BIS has the time to do that...

I would very much like games ported to Linux but the game business is a business and something that isnt mainsteam enough to give profit is not very smart to do. Windows is still the gaming platform for PC (The gaming OS, for anything else there are better choices ;P)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([GR]Gounta{Ldr} @ Jan. 07 2003,06:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do you know what Debian is like?<span id='postcolor'>

The best wink.gif

I heard something about a version called lindows? It should be able to run most Windows programs and games, or am i just hopelessly behind confused.gif

Hmm, the advertising said that. From what i know they use a modified wine to do it. And from what i've read even the last version was not up to the promises made in advertising, although was running ok iirc.

If you want to try linux then use either redhat/mandrake for more beginner-friendly linux or debian/gentoo to avoid the rpm packaging.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([GR]Gounta{Ldr} @ Jan. 07 2003,17:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">All I want is a Linux Client for OFP.......NWN has just about finished the Linux Client......Civilization 3 has also nearly finnished Linux Client.

Would you think the guys who developed OFP would make a Linux Client?

Helltoupee.......you from Australiasia? If so how ya been? Long time no see smile.gif What Linux do you have? Do you know what Debian is like?

[GR]Gounta{Ldr}

Grim Reapers Clan Site<span id='postcolor'>

im from NZ, debian its good woodys a night mare to install but its ok, my modems pptp and i cant get pptp to go on it so i dont use it i use anotehr distro. Easyest way to install debian is knoppix.

lindows is just linux made to be similar to windows, a bit like lycrois www.lycoris.com i dont use it but its made to be real ez and it comes with winex.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hovmand @ Jan. 07 2003,15:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I heard something about a version called lindows? It should be able to run most Windows programs and games, or am i just hopelessly behind  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Lindows can run a few Windows programs, but not games. you might be thinking of Mandrake Gaming Edition, which comes with Wine(X?) built in, and a copy of The Sims.

But DirectX-based games, as Kegety says, won't work.

And Debian is good, but FreeBSD is the way and the light. wink.gif

Does FreeBSD run the ofp dedi server too?

I have to say I've never tried. But I don't see why not. I'll try it over the weekend if I get a chance, see what happens.

My connection isn't really fast enough for hosting games (and the fact I admin a couple of dedicated servers already means I haven't bothered), and for some reason my flatmates won't play FPS games against me. I think the fact I used to get paid to play CS, and they never really got into gaming until recently, might have something to do with that.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (benu @ Jan. 08 2003,15:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Does FreeBSD run the ofp dedi server too?<span id='postcolor'>

Yup. It runs just fine, you just have to brandelf it.

Ie: brandelf -T Linux server

What I'd really like to see is an Mac OS X client, then I could dump Windows for good tounge.gif