Pyrit.

Get to Know - Dominik Jícha - Marketing & Brand manager

D9ghFOqXkAI9Oz9?format=jpg&name=900x900

▶ What do you do on Vigor?

As the Marketing & Brand Manager, I am doing my best to create, communicate, and deliver the Vigor value to the target market at a profit (the last point is more up to publishing department).

I know it may seem like "generic bullshit." Still, it describes what marketing does, and we bend these points into the game industry specifics while using familiar tools such as: Branding, Trailers, Key Arts, Screenshots, Descriptions, Website, Blogs, Dev Diaries, Store, Sales, Social Media, Streams, Forums, Newsletters, Press, Advertising, Merch, Events, Expos, Updates, Influencers, Partners, Campaigns, etc. Sometimes we can even influence a Game Content a little bit! 😛

The other thing is to use these tools with knowledge of strategy, goals, measurement, and optimization, which is my job to handle. The rest, it is about making ideas, planning, organization, communication, and execution within the Vigor Team and our business partners.

▶ What is your contribution to the Vigor Team?

Connect people with good ideas and doing my best to make it happen.

But maybe a better question would be: What is the Vigor Team contribution to you or marketing? There I would say a lot! Especially we have open minds in Vigor Team. You can be a good marketer as you want, but without the support of others, it is not complete.

▶ What do you like about Vigor?

Unconventionality. We are making a game cocktail with ingredients that you already know, but our mixture and extra spice brings a new flavor – F2P Shooter-Looter-Builder in post-war Norway.

▶ What do you want to see in Vigor?

Can I say something else than more of the Tomato? 🙂 Honestly, I love these funny things and easter eggs. It adds a little bit of craziness into the harsh and post-war setting, which is also making our communication more diverse.

▶ What do you do when you are not making Vigor?

I am Jack of All Trades, so it will be better to introduce what I do in these times! Boxing Alucard (design manager), petting my cat Jošt and finishing my motorcycle driving license. Also, I am looking forward to summer chill out and festivals. 8-)

▶ Did game dev change your view on the games and how?

Yop. Let's start with the basics. 😄 I found there is a difference between scripter, programmer, cloud programmer, etc.! I am getting familiar with words like merge, branch, back-end, front-end, and others...

I learned how the game dev company about 450 people and different locations, projects, or departments works. From the marketing perspective, I appreciate the valuable experience to publish the game on Xbox One.

▶ Your favorite games, and why?

Jack of All Trades? Okay, let's be diverse! Here are my TOP 13 and whys:

Passage – game mechanics as a metaphor

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons – game controls and its meaning

Bloodborne – lore

Dark Souls – level design

System Shock 2 – game systems

World of Warcraft – the social aspect

Counter-Strike 1.6 – competition

FIFA – gameplay purity

Metal Gear Solid 3 – survival system

Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves – genre mixture

Metro Series – atmosphere

Witcher 3 – setting, proper story finish (don't like Avallone ending from books)

Kingdom Come: Deliverance – authenticity

▶ What's your favorite music, movie, show, book, and why?

Music:

Children of Bodom! Then Kalmah, Ensiferum, Korpiklaani, Burzum, Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Black Sabbath.

Headbanging to melodeath, pumping to vikingness, feeling black metal rawness, and appreciating trash/heavy/rock roots. Still, I got my whatever playlist full of other shit than metal. 🙂 For example, Nirvana and Munroe.

Movie:

Back to the Future – time traveling, causality, Delorean, and Johnny B. Goode. All that you need to see in a perfect film.

Show:

Red Dwarf – Mr. Flibble.

Book:

Roadside Picnic – Happiness for everybody, free, and nobody will go away, unsatisfied!

One Day of Ivan Denisovich – The end of an unclouded day. Almost a happy one. Just one of the 3,653 days of his sentence, from bell to bell.

▶ Is there something that you want to say to our community?

The game is strong and healthy as its community! So as we genuinely appreciate your support and feedback during the Game Preview, the new start is still going to happen within the Free-To-Play release. As the payment wall falls, there is going to be a wave of new players with no Vigor experience and very likely with different reasons why they started playing Vigor. At this moment, we will once again appreciate your hands and voices that can help us to welcome or guide newcomers in post-war Norway properly. Are you ready for this, Outlanders?

▶ You are Outlander; humanity has fallen. What would you do?

I would settle down with a small community group that I can trust. Our job would be to find some tools and weapons, harvest food, build shelters. Then expand and start the first football season of post-war Norway Premier League.

Bonus Question (from Jan)

▶ Why have you decided to work in Bohemia Interactive?

Well, I started my game industry career back in university times when I organized gaming events, conferences, or festivals and wrote theses and articles related to Game Studies topics. Later, I joined a small indie studio that released a quite successful adventure game Dark Train.

So, since I have been part of the Czech Game Dev Industry for some time and the Bohemia Interactive is the biggest game dev company in the Czech Republic, I always had an eye on the company and its people out there. As a kid, I loved Arma: Cold War Assault, and later, I appreciated the DayZ concept when it came out. Together with a reconceptualization of publishing/marketing (didn't know that), I received the job offer to work on the unannounced project.

First, it was the ideal opportunity to get a full-time marketing experience for me. Second, I knew that would be working on a new promising project full of talented people. Third, I found it is Vigor within its team, and I liked the unconventionality of both.

If you find the Norwayish shooter-looter-builder game with the Tomato that is implemented by Unicorns in Brno and published on Xbox One... Well, you have to say, Yes! 🙂

• Like 1