Sign in to follow this  
CzechsMix357

Vanilla Faction Overhaul/Replacement

Hello everyone! So I, like many, was a bit disappointed with the vanilla factions in the game, and wanted something a bit more down-to-earth when playing missions and the campaign. There were several excellent mods that attempted to address this issue, but none of them ever went quite the direction I wanted, so I decided to try my hand at my own. I've been working on this mod for a bit, and would like to share what I have so far with everyone.

The faction with the most work done so far is CSAT, which needed an overhaul the most.

CSAT infantry no longer looks sci-fi, and is properly identified as Iranian and Chinese forces.

Regular CSAT Infantry

vV4AK7A.png

dlc2hoC.png

Urban CSAT Infantry

FqoXv9D.png

Ez8dzDL.png

CSAT Special Forces

6KDqAsG.png

CSAT Pacific Regular Infantry

5MJmzVm.png

ZYZDYjn.png

CSAT Pacific Special Forces

tjLlx99.png

CSAT vehicles also now have markings and insignia, as well as a toned-down camouflage that fits better within the environment.

SzT1gZm.png

oEjJz09.png

Zgd9Jmq.png

8w7b4c4.png

JI0u6Gf.png

So, things are very much a work in progress, and I am more of a texture artist than a script writer, so I am using Eduardcomando's excellent "HQ Replacement CSAT" mod as a base for the texture and equipment modifications. However, there have been some game updates that have come along since his last release, and I am at a loss on how to update the scripts to account for this. It is nothing game breaking, just some textures not being replaced as they should, and not being able to replace some of the newer DLC assets. I would love to team up with an talented scripter that can get the script issues figured out so I can concentrate on creating textures. If this at all interests you, please get in touch!

The file requirements so far are RHSUSAF: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=843577117

and NIARMS: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1208517358

Here is the download link to try it out: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y15aylbwd6av885/%40CSAT Overhaul.rar?dl=0

• Like 3

These look very nice and I completely understand the desire, I can't bring myself to place any of the bug-eyed CSAT units even for testing (RHS is A3).

Assume by scripts you mean configs (all that should be required for this sort of replacement). They're actually incredibly simple once you know 3-4 patterns that need to be used (and the right time to use them). The main thing is to preserve the inherited hierarchy, at some point in your patch this will involve what I would call a 'backward declaration' introducing a class defined elsewhere to be used as the parent of a class you're amending.

class Parent; // This tells the processor that this class has been/will be defined by another config.

class Derived: Parent { // This is the class you're changing (including its original inheritance from Parent).
   ... // Your changes.
};

Where it gets a bit trickier is when you have to backward declare sub-classes within the parent declaration.

class Uniform_Base;
class UniformItem;

class SomeUniform: Uniform_Base {
   class ItemInfo: UniformItem {
      ... // Your changes.
   };
};

Or (more involved); 

class Parent {
   class ItemInfo;
};

class Derived: Parent {
   class ItemInfo: ItemInfo {
      ... // Your changes.
   };
};

Choosing the correct pattern is just a matter of preserving the original hierarchy for which you'll definitely want an All-In-One config dump (and something like Notepad++); 

• Like 1