Sign in to follow this  
Rochambeau

Helicopter tactics?

OK, I have searched, searched, and searched again.

I am looking for a tutorial or some useful help on how to use the helicopters and their targeting/weapon systems.

The Avon Lady's FAQ lists a link to a tutorial at FlashpointCenter, but it appears that site is dead.

Does anyone have the tutorial or know where to get it, or can answer the following:

How does the gunner target? Can you target and automatically train fire on enemy helicopters and ground targets?

Maybe it is just because I am a psuedo-newb (I came back to the game after a year playing other games), but it seems damn near impossible to kill anything working as a gunner in a helicopter. As pilot, I can target, but the gunner does not see the tatget and cannot select it. In one mission, even if we can avoid/kill the enemy shilkas, the Hinds just rape us with machine gun fire.

I thanks anybody for any help they may be able to offer.

My suggestion is get with a clan and they'll have 1 or 2 guys that can train you to fly but you have to be willing to put the time in. Learning to fly isn't a part time thing and it never stops so you'd better make sure your in this for the long haul.

(I'm sure there are lots of guys out there that are very capable who are not in clans... however I'd say the majority of knowledge and training material is in the clans right now. Know how to fly is one thing know how to teach someone to fly is quite another.)

One of the best pilot's I have seen is Tex from USMC. He's very good but I don't know how active he is anymore. I suppose I could teach you also but I'm a little sheepish about dishing out knowledge that took me a long time to aquire. Also I'm quite busy at the moment so I don't know how much hands on help I could give you. But I'm willing to try.

(In case someone reads this a figures I'm some cocky asswipe. I'm a commercial helicopter pilot.....so I think that over $40,000 worth of training intitiles me to be a little cocky.)

Outside of either of these I don't know offhand about any suppliments or articles that will help you. I'd do appreciate your candor about this matter. I think there are a lot of guys that claim to be a hot shot pilot and then slam into a tree with 8 grunts onboard. Its nice to see that there are people out there such as yourself who are intrested in learning and progressing to a higher level.

I'd try to get a hold of Tex from USMC or myself. He's the only guy I know of online who I'd trust to teach anyone.

Tex is also a regular poster on these boards. I suggest you maybe give him a PM?

On a sidenote, Tex is also a candidate for board president.

I'm as active as circumstances allow smile.gif

You can get a hold of me on ICQ, and if you catch me in the right mood I'd be glad to give you some pointers.

Hi,

I wouldn't mind some advice also. I've been practicing, setting up T80s and TOWing them flying a cobra. I"m about 50% accurate. I've tried flying at different altitudes, distances; shooting a little in front behind and can't find the sweat spot.

I'm usually stable and the chopper isn't jerking around... so I don't know. lol

Also, if you don't mind asking, how in the heck do you re-arm a cobra?? i put ammo stations, truck etc...nothing works.

Kdog smile.gif

TOW's? you sure you don't mean FFARs? Because you would think that with a guided missile you wouldn't need to find a sweet spot, just make sure you never fire TOW's from less than about half a klick out. As for FFARs, you will want to aim high (just imagine the target pipper is just above where it actually is). Keep in mind that is in first person view. The 3rd person view's aiming is off for some reason, so I never use it. That and even if I did use it, I stopped flying in 3rd person so long ago I've forgotten lol.

Hmmm, I must not be understanding the weapons correctly. Correct me if I'm wrong: The TOWs are guided missles used for heavy armour like T80s, and the FFARs are un-guided, used for light armour, BMPs, Urals etc..

I can select targets with TOW, but not with FFEAR. I don't understand??

Your right, you don't need a sweet spot for guided, I thought maybe my angles where making it tough for the missile to make a direct hit.

Thanks for replying Tex. Please explain--Kdog confused.gif

5 or 6 ffars will take out an abrams if they all hit the tank and 1 will take out a bmp, as for soft targets like trucks I use the 30mm.

i find if the Ai is having trouble recognising targets then you can point at them and right click on them. this will automatically target them. You can even target soldiers this way. be prepared for your vehicle to move a bit though as the helicopters respond to mouse movements too. i say this as I presume anyone serious about flying them right uses the keys tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KDog35 @ Jan. 01 2003,23:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmmm, I must not be understanding the weapons correctly. Correct me if I'm wrong: The TOWs are guided missles used for heavy armour like T80s, and the FFARs are un-guided, used for light armour, BMPs, Urals etc..

I can select targets with TOW, but not with FFEAR. I don't understand??

Your right, you don't need a sweet spot for guided, I thought maybe my angles where making it tough for the missile to make a direct hit.

Thanks for replying Tex. Please explain--Kdog   confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

you've got everything straight, don't worry. Now, for optimum accuracy with a TOW, engage at 500 meter + ranges. You can engage effectively under this range, but by engaging at 500+, you are basically idiot-proofing the guidance system so you can't possibly mess up.

Thanks Tex for the advice, I'll give it a try and let you know what happens. smile.gif Kdog--

Hey Tex:

I tested the distance 500m you suggested and made no difference. Kinda strange. I set up waypoints on the tanks for measurement. Well, any other suggestions?? Can a TOW take out a T80 with one shot?... I would think so.. confused.gif Kdog-