Rabid Squirrel

Can I have different LOD Textures?

I have a question related to how the Arma engine handles texture draw calls for .p3d models with multiple texture selections.

In an effort to try an explain what I'm getting at, I'll give an example:

Take a Helicopter with two texture selections, it has two selections in order to maintain relatively decent quality in LOD resolution 1 (I think the Arma 3 Helicopters DLC Chinook has two UV selections).

Would it be beneficial to have (in LOD resolution 2+) a single UV selection (i.e. less textures to draw), like a solid colour or similar? The reason I ask is because I'm not sure whether or not Arma 3 still draws those textures for the model in the other LODs even when a different LOD is loaded, or if the textures are only drawn when the LOD transition takes place.

To put it another way:
If I have a model with "Camo1" and "Camo2" selections in the View-Pilot and 1.000 LODs but only a "Camo_lod" selection in 2.000+ LODs, would that be better performance wise than just leaving the "Camo1" and "Camo2" selections through all of the LODs?

It's fairly common for models to have only a single texture in the last LOD, and no .rvmat

I don't think it would be all that worthwhile doing it on an object past only the 2nd LOD though if it only has 2 sections to begin with, unless you are cutting out the .rvmat as well. 2 sections isn't a lot

But do check in Object Builder that you don't accidentally have multiple sections with the same texture+rvmat pair - because this happens quite commonly when working on models and copy and pasting pieces of the mesh between LODs

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, da12thMonkey said:

It's fairly common for models to have only a single texture in the last LOD, and no .rvmat

I don't think it would be all that worthwhile doing it on an object past only the 2nd LOD though if it only has 2 sections to begin with, unless you are cutting out the .rvmat as well. 2 sections isn't a lot

But do check in Object Builder that you don't accidentally have multiple sections with the same texture+rvmat pair - because this happens quite commonly when working on models and copy and pasting pieces of the mesh between LODs

Okay cool, thank you for the response.