Sign in to follow this  
Marw

Dedicated server & ports..

Howdy!

Anyone knows exactly what ports are needed for a server to work??? cant find any documentation except "DirectPlay".... and i know it needs only a fraction off the DirectPlay spec....

Thanks!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Marw on 5:59 am on Nov. 28, 2001

Howdy!

Anyone knows exactly what ports are needed for a server to work??? cant find any documentation except "DirectPlay".... and i know it needs only a fraction off the DirectPlay spec....

Thanks!<span id='postcolor'>

Check this entry in AvonLady's OFP FAQ:

<a href="http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/mp/firewall.htm

(And" target="_blank">http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/mp/firewall.htm

(And</a> bookmark the site while you are at it)

Thanks.... but thats not what i need.

The FAQ is not about a "dedicated server" but a computer hosting and playing at the same time....

Hmmm.... dont think so.

After som packet capturing i found this:

Local: UDP 2234, Remote: UDP ANY

Local: UDP 6073, Remote: UDP ANY

Thats all needed for the server to run.... only one thing dont work... squad.xml, thats not even close to what that FAQ says  (tryed the conf with 13 players in a game)

(Edited by Marw at 11:23 pm on Nov. 28, 2001)

I also need this info and any more that will allow me to host a OF server from behind a linksys router/firewall without putting it in the DMZ, thanks

I also need this info and any more that will allow me to host a OF server from behind a linksys router/firewall without putting it in the DMZ, thanks

Hi, I'm also looking fro this info & anymore that will allow me to run a server from behind a linksys router/firewall without putting it in the DMZ

I nice crib sheet / how to would be great :O)

You should check out Avon Lady's excellent FAQ for this : <a href="http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/mp/firewall.htm

What" target="_blank">http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/mp/firewall.htm

What</a> I had to do when running a dedicated 1.30 server was this:

(Please note that my NAT firewall/router allows all packets out, but are restricting incomming packets).

Open TCP/UDP 2234. Codemasters say only TCP but it didn't work for me until I added UDP too.

Open TCP/UDP 2300-2400.

Now if you're running NAT you need to use Port Forwarding on this and point it to the LAN IP of your OFP server. If you also have a firewall you need to open the firewall for these packets too. If you're running NAT, you can tighten the security by setting 'source ip' to 'any' and 'destination ip' to your LAN IP server.

Note that I didn't open any DirectX ports. It works without them and frankly I don't trust M$ enough to open them either. When running an 1.00 non-dedicated server I only had to open 2234, when using a NAT router.

I also noticed on the 1.30 dedicated server that a GameSpy IP was banging on my UDP 2235 port. I opened this as well, but alas it didn't show up on GS. However I haven't looked too much at the cfg files yet so I guess I have to set a master server to get it up there.

Does anyone know how (or if it's possible) to set a hostname for the server?

-Lurker

1. TCP/UDP 2300-2400 IS the DirectX port range.

2. To report your server to Gamespy, add

reportingIP = "master.gamespy.com";

to the .CFG file.

3. To set a host name, add

hostname="Rekrul's Spiffy Server";

to the .CFG file.

Yeah I found that out later, however DirectX is ONLY UDP tho, not TCP. Also, I heard about a securityhole in DirectX, I belive the version was 8.0 but I'm not sure. Can anyone confirm/deny this and give me a link to the secuirty hole so I can clog it?

Also, thanks for your help.

-Rekrul

I haven't heard of any DirectX security hole, nor did a search of Microsoft's support site find anything like that. I'm not sure where that information came from, but it was likely a rumor.

I tried with the hostname, that didn't work. GS worked when I switched firewall for some wierd reason. GS use <gameport>+1 or in my case port 2235 wich I have opened and it shows, however only with my LAN IP, not my hostname.

Furthermore, when running dedicated server, you don't need to open the DirectX ports 2300-2400. Now I have only opened port 2234 for all, and port 2235 but only from GS' server and no DirectX ports and it works like a charm.

Anyone got any idea what's wrong with my .cfg file?

passwordAdmin = xxxxx;

hostname="Norwegian Whalers' OFP server";

reportingIP="master.gamespy.com";

motd[]=

{

"Norwegian Whalers OFP Server",

"----------------------------",

"blablablablablablablablablablabla",

"- Lurker",

};

Now both PW admin and reportingip works, but not hostname. Not MOTD either btw. I do have more info in my .cfg below motd wich works fine but I didn't bother to post it. Any help would be welcomed...

-Rekrul

Does Anyone Know Why the standard port of 2234 in dedicated server is'nt shoing any stats about players in "All Seing Eye" and then if I change the port to 2235 with -port 2235 command while launching then it reports the status. And here comes the Weirdest the server didn't function to well on 2235 so I tried to go back to 2234 and den it shows up two times in the server list on ase and the 2235 version is reporting all current status and the 2234 version is the only one accepting connections (offcourse there isn't a server on 2235 but how is it that it still reports its state on that port?confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Rekrul on 1:37 am on Dec. 12, 2001

I tried with the hostname, that didn't work. GS worked when I switched firewall for some wierd reason. GS use <gameport>+1 or in my case port 2235 wich I have opened and it shows, however only with my LAN IP, not my hostname.

Furthermore, when running dedicated server, you don't need to open the DirectX ports 2300-2400. Now I have only opened port 2234 for all, and port 2235 but only from GS' server and no DirectX ports and it works like a charm.

Anyone got any idea what's wrong with my .cfg file?

passwordAdmin = xxxxx;

hostname="Norwegian Whalers' OFP server";

reportingIP="master.gamespy.com";

motd[]=

{

"Norwegian Whalers OFP Server",

"----------------------------",

"blablablablablablablablablablabla",

"- Lurker",

};

Now both PW admin and reportingip works, but not hostname. Not MOTD either btw. I do have more info in my .cfg below motd wich works fine but I didn't bother to post it. Any help would be welcomed...

-Rekrul

<span id='postcolor'>

I wonder if the server has trouble reading the MOTD because of the extra comma on the line with "Lurker" on it -- it might expect an additional parameter because of it, and ignore the entire MOTD because it can't find the final parameter.

Mr. Frag: Well I've tried without it as well. The point is that in the DS documentation (wich has several typos and errors btw) it doesn't use the comma on the last line when explaining the syntax, but it does have a comma on the last line in the example at the bottom.

Generally OpFP is very poorly documented. I'd like to get some documentation for the scripts in missionmaking too (and I've checked the EditingCenter but couldn't find anything execpt examples and code).

-Rekrul