Sign in to follow this  
mwahahaa

Tracer fire

Am I correct in my understanding that in real life tracers are not typically utilized in rifles, but instead are used mostly in machine guns?  Also, if you do use tracer fire in OFP, does it give the AI an additional advantage in locating you?  It seems that that would be the logical tradeoff for using tracers, but I'm not sure if it actually makes a difference in game.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jamesia @ Dec. 27 2002,15:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">can a tracer bullet be fatal?<span id='postcolor'>

Absolutely.

thats like asking "Can any real fast moving object heading towards your head, the place where your brain is, be fatal?"

yeah but what soldiers sometimes do is have every 10 bullet a tracer in an mg so you can see where your fire is going but still be less easily detected.

In real life, you cant see the tracer head on.So it will not give off your postion from where your firing from.Its only visable from the rear, and certain angles in the rear, because the tracer is in the very back of the bullet, where theres a hole and inside that hole, is the tracer.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">can a tracer bullet be fatal?<span id='postcolor'>

LOL.

A tracer round is basically a regular bullet with red phosphorous placed in a hollowed out area at the rear of the bullet. Just as deadly. wink.gif

Standard NATO linked ammo for 5.56x45 and 7.62x51 comes in a ratio of 4 ball:1 trace. Tracer ammo 'burns out' at roughly 800m for the 7.62x51 NATO round.

As for tracer rounds in an individual's rifle: it depends on the orders he's given. When it is up to the individual to decide then I usually would put two rounds on the bottom of the load so I know when I am running very low on ammo.

Tyler

According to what various people have said about the tracers, the ones in OFP aren't very realistic-looking in that they can be many metres long and are only a few pixels wide - although changing this may be hard...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Its only visable from the rear, and certain angles in the rear, because the tracer is in the very back of the bullet, where theres a hole and inside that hole, is the tracer.<span id='postcolor'>

You should be able to see tracers from side-on as well given that the phosphorous burns out the back - just like the footage from conflicts such as Iraq during night-time air raids with all that AA fire.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mr. Snrub @ Dec. 29 2002,06:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">According to what various people have said about the tracers, the ones in OFP aren't very realistic-looking in that they can be many metres long and are only a few pixels wide - although changing this may be hard...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Its only visable from the rear, and certain angles in the rear, because the tracer is in the very back of the bullet, where theres a hole and inside that hole, is the tracer.<span id='postcolor'>

You should be able to see tracers from side-on as well given that the phosphorous burns out the back - just like the footage from conflicts such as Iraq during night-time air raids with all that AA fire.<span id='postcolor'>

I have'nt tried this so I might be wrong but, I believe you can see the phosphorous from any angle.

The phosphorous burn so bright and hot that you can easily see the tracer from any angle from left to right through back.

But I havent watched a tracer-bullet from the wrong side of the rifle tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hovmand @ Dec. 29 2002,17:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In OFP it seems to me that every bullet is a tracer  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I have this really cool pic, its of lots of boats in the channel at d-day, firing at an axis plane.

Apparently on it 1 in every 10 bullets (or shells, wotever), was a tracer, and yet it appears that every single one is a tracer (as it appears to be solid lines firing at these planes)

So, I beleive that it can be like that.

However, in operation flashpoint, it does appear that every shot you fire is a tracer (especially with the single shot settings on weapons). However when you fire on fully automatic it appears that not every bullet is a tracer.