Sign in to follow this  
USMC Sniper

Some questions about recoil...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USMC Sniper @ Dec. 20 2002,03:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Recently, I watched a couple videos here of some people shooting machineguns. Now, if some fat hillbilly can fire an M60E3 with no recoil, and a representation of a trained soldier in OFP fires an M60 standing up with heavy recoil, shouldn't it be the other way around? I watched tons of videos, from ak47's to M60's. The ak47 in one video fires off 6 clips, all on fullauto, and the shooter looks like a medium-build guy. He only has a bit recoil, but his entire body doesnt shoot back like in OFP, the front of his gun just jolts upward a bit. Can someone explain this what recoil is and is it realistic in OFP?

BTW: I know the pistols are unrealistic in OFP: Res, im just asking about the assault rifles and MG's.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, I didnt see your video...but I can tell you that there is a proper "technique" involved in firing a full auto weapon.

An AK47 actually recoils quite a bit for a rifle of its size,...It sort of applies a constant, jerky pressure backward onto the shooter when firing on full auto, also pulling the muzzle upward.... and if you dont compensate by slightly leaning into it, and applying a little downward pressure...most of your rounds are going to go over the target. This is why it is better to fire short bursts, instead of emtying a whole magazine in one blast.

Another technique is to actually aim low, and "strafe" the target upward.

But short bursts will be more effective. (soldiers used to be taught to fire bursts from full auto weapons by shouting "SonOfABitch!" as they pulled the trigger)

If a machinegun has a relatively slow rate of fire, you may actually feel a recoil for each shot...but the faster the ROF, the more the individual shots will blend into one long "push" backward, and upward.

As far as OFP,...very few of the official weapon characteristics are realistic at all

(Oh, BTW...AK47s use magazines, not clips)

I am defiantely editing the config.cpp to make the M60 have less recoil. The guy in the video I posted wasnt as fat as that, that, thing with the MP5. biggrin.gif, yet he handled an M60 very well.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USMC Sniper @ Dec. 20 2002,23:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am defiantely editing the config.cpp to make the M60 have less recoil. The guy in the video I posted wasnt as fat as that, that, thing with the MP5. biggrin.gif, yet he handled an M60 very well.<span id='postcolor'>

well, it may look like he's handling it well, but I'd reserve judgement until I saw the status of his target

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Acidcrash @ Dec. 20 2002,14:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">this guy kinda makes the MP5 look like a kids toy

guy with MP5<span id='postcolor'>

now that man is a true texan

A fully automatic sub machine gun in his hands

and half a cow in his belly.

He is firing a M60 Shorty, its specifically designed so Navy Seals can fire it, a lot, with little recoil. Its lighter and has better grips and as tex said, he may be having a lot of fun, but I doubt he's hitting the target that much.

By the way, thought I'd share this one

http://www.aos.nu/temp/ksp58/ksp58.mpeg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MrMilli @ Dec. 21 2002,00:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">By the way, thought I'd share this one

http://www.aos.nu/temp/ksp58/ksp58.mpeg<span id='postcolor'>

soo what's the point? trying to hit ground so that they see the tracer go nuts or are they trying to have competition of who can ricochet the bullet better? biggrin.gif

I love the one where they shoot off that vulcan.

How do people get their hands on this type of firepower? I want some too. biggrin.gif lol

Are those .30 cals those guys are shooting in that last video?

Which minigun clip? The only one I know of is that night shoot where you can see tons of tracers flying about. Lucky bastards, I wonder how much they spend on that many class 3 weapons, probably in the hundred thousands range. Maybe one day when I go there I will go to one of those MG shoots. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Dec. 21 2002,02:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How do people get their hands on this type of firepower?  I want some too. biggrin.gif lol<span id='postcolor'>

In many U.S. states, you can own any registered machinegun provided you pass the BATF requirements, and submit the proper paperwork, and tax forms.

(and you will pay quite a price for a legally registered machinegun)

I posted pics from "Bullet Fest" 2001 in another thread a while back...there were mini guns, M60s, and all sorts of other machineguns there...all privately owned.

In the video you see only maneuver ammo at work for 1.29 minutes. Real ammo has different recoil to maneuver ammo.

Anyway the rate of fire they offer is a laughter. A good machinegun round is 3 shots not more. Anything else is waste of ammo and more covering fire than directed.

I am always happy when machingunners (except mounted mg´s) go lose on their ammo count and rate of fire. It´s like switching on a headlight. Target with GraPi and the guy is history. He has the chance to hit with first 5 shots if he fires large salves, but not anything more.

The real tracers at end of movie show how bad their aim is on a really not far distance.

You have to think about ammo consumption when on patrols. These guys would be out of ammo after 15 minutes. Bad luck.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ Dec. 21 2002,04:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In the video you see only maneuver ammo at work for 1.29 minutes. Real ammo has different recoil to maneuver ammo.

Anyway the rate of fire they offer is a laughter. A good machinegun round is 3 shots not more. Anything else is waste of ammo and more covering fire than directed.

I am always happy when machingunners (except mounted mg´s) go lose on their ammo count and rate of fire. It´s like switching on a headlight. Target with GraPi and the guy is history. He has the chance to hit with first 5 shots if he fires large salves, but not anything more.

The real tracers at end of movie show how bad their aim is on a really not far distance.

You have to think about ammo consumption when on patrols. These guys would be out of ammo after 15 minutes. Bad luck.<span id='postcolor'>

Absolutely true,...but those guys were just having fun, not training....and there wouldnt be any novelty in a video of people just firing 3rnd bursts biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USMC Sniper @ Dec. 21 2002,04:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wonder how much they spend on that many class 3 weapons, probably in the hundred thousands range. Maybe one day when I go there I will go to one of those MG shoots. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That depends,...if those are registered, civillian legal weapons...then yes, there is quite a load of money there.

However, if those guys are Type 2 manufacturers...they may have built some of those weapons themselves (much cheaper,...but the weapons can only by owned by themselves, class III dealers, or law enforcement/military)

Come to Florida sometime...I will put you behind some civillian legal machineguns for some range time.

and then we'll go fishin. xmas.gif