scotg

model.cfg - potential axis

Looking at most of the BIS vehicle models, there's a section listing "Potential Axis." Does anyone know the purpose of this list, and should I be using one in my model.cfg files? BTW, for BIS devs the plural of axis is axes.

When you're writing your own model .cfg you only need to use a selection name for the axis=

IIRC the memory LOD axis info is encoded as vertex coordinates during binarisation.

So when you use tools to read the model.cfg from an ODOL it writes the axis= parameter as a set of coordinates and has to make a guess of the named selection that corresponds to those vertices, which is what the "Potential" named selections are. But they're not valid from the standpoint of actually being used by the model.cfg, and why they're //Commented out.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, da12thMonkey said:

When you're writing your own model .cfg you only need to use a selection name for the axis=

IIRC the memory LOD axis info is encoded as vertex coordinates during binarisation.

So when you use tools to read the model.cfg from an ODOL it writes the axis= parameter as a set of coordinates and has to make a guess of the named selection that corresponds to those vertices, which is what the "Potential" named selections are. But they're not valid from the standpoint of actually being used by the model.cfg, and why they're //Commented out.

Ok Good, it's not some extra step that makes things run smoother. So what you're saying is that even my finished model, packed without such a list, will have the list anyway when it is opened through eliteness? This is a little OT, but if that's the case then I apologize to BIS for correcting your spelling, when it's actually Mikero. X-D

Well I haven't tried it on one of my own models to be certain how it looks when eliteness spits the same file back out (why would I when I have the source model.cfg anyway).

But it's my understanding of how the axis information is output from eliteness having compared a few things with BIS naming conventions for mem points, and their samples

Certainly I've never ever written a "potential" axis in to anything I've ever worked on. And have had no problems

• Like 1