Sign in to follow this  
der bastler

Battletech mod for ofp2

Yes, sounds weird but we aren't kidding!

OFP offers many options for an accurate conversion of the BattleTech universe. But some options are missing in the current game engine (e.g. user definable weapon and vehicle classes). We hope that besides the bigger-better-faster-features OFP2 will be even more accessible for fan designers. And we have enough to do with current ofp add-ons. That's why we decided to plan the mod for OFP2 but to start the organisation now.

[More...]

lol... i think of planing a mod for ofp 4? anyone want to join my team? biggrin.gif

... no really... dont you think its a bit early to think of ofp2?

i mean we know almost nothing or even nothing about what and how it will be

I think we both know OFP2 will be bigger-better-faster...

wink.gif

But one can plan things and try some tricks in OFP now, e.g. concepts and possible missions. Without obligations, see?

Will OFP2 be a different game? Or will BIS keep it's foundation and enhance walls and roof? Question and questions and only few answers...

you can plan..yes ... but how long will it take? 2, maybe 4 months? you can plan the basics.... for example: you can plan a mission concept, but you cant say how (if) you can realize it in opf2... you dont know what scripts it will need and how those scripts will look, you dont know what commands the mission editor will use... and you dont even know if there will be a mission editor in ofp2. thats the problem i see... we have just not enought information about ofp2... this mod could also be for doom 3... you just cant really plan anything specified to ofp2... because you dont know it... those few questions ondrej spanel answered dont really help us i think...

Yes, I know OFPAnim is out.

Now we can create Mech-Animations. But how to connect them to the player's controls?

Ok, we can define the mech as soldier. If you analyze the decoded main config.cpp, you'll find a class CfgMovesMC. This class defines all motion-captured moves for soldier class and it seems to be the interface to the user's control input.

Disadvantages: you can't exit your mech because you are the mech and aiming is a little bit strange. I would prefer to define a mech as tank (you can enter it and we can use a turret). Problem: a tank has no "moves", it only animates the textures of it's "wheels".

Only solution so far: use a script to poll the user's input and trigger the right mech-animations. I know some time ago someone released an add-on with a sphere that was controlled -ingame- by the player. But I can't find it! sad.gif

Author of sphere-thingy, please answer!

btw: It is possible to create an alien for USCM Mod (refer to my page): create an alien model, design it's movements with OFPAnim, define your own CfgMoves class, hook this class to the alien's class with

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

moves = "MyAlienMovesClass";

<span id='postcolor'>

voilŕ: you have an alien-soldier.

xmas.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think we both know OFP2 will be bigger-better-faster...

But one can plan things and try some tricks in OFP now, e.g. concepts and possible missions. Without obligations, see?

Will OFP2 be a different game? Or will BIS keep it's foundation and enhance walls and roof? Question and questions and only few answers...

<span id='postcolor'>

maybe they have other tools for the new game and no p3d files or other classes ingame etc, would be a waste of time to start a mod for ofp2 this early