Sign in to follow this  
madtomo

Bad xml and faces crash linux dedy

is there any way i can stop bad xml or bad custom faces crashing our dedicated 100mbit linux server on 1.88?

thanks

also on 1.90 now still same problem mad.gif

cmon dudes these forums are a wealth of knowledge someones gota know pleeaseeeeeee!!

...well...1.90 helps...a little...

But the only way (as far as I am concerned) to keep it from crashing in the long run is to totally delete the squad XML link in the player profile. This also prevents the server from hanging for 15 secs when someone connects.

Custom faces did not seem to affect the stability of our server so I don't know about that.

yes, xml reference in player settings causes my server to halt for at least 10 minutes. I have tried the 1.90 on Mandrake 9.0 and Debian 3.0 distros and get same results. We need a fix or a config setting to prevent the processing of player xml info. BIS?

Put it another way.. is their a way to filter out players XML while they coming to server??

In effect end up with no players on server with XML?

cheers

I'm running a small dedicated linux server on Suse 8.0, and I can confirm these troubles. I get segmentation faults on a regular basis (about once every 20 to 30 connections), connections take about 30 to 40 seconds on an empty server, and concurrent logins by two or three people (with correct squad xml and custom faces) result in a non-responsive server. The OFP server processes don't die completely, so a manual restart is necessary (seg. faults result in an automatic restart, since it's started from /etc/inittab.

This is a dual boot system with the Win32 dedicated server installed as well. On Windows, no troubles at all and getting connected take about 5 to 10 seconds...

Both mentioned linux and Win32 dedicated servers are 1.90. Clients giving trouble are 1.85 and 1.90.

It may sound weird but I am actually happy this happens to other servers as well...I thought I was the only one, spamming the forum here and there to get an answer...

A simple: "Yes, this problem is known & will be adressed" or "sorry, no further interest in patching the Linux server" would be enough, at least I could decide just to drive to my server housing provider, pick the damn thing up and install WIN 2000.

I am sick of hearing "your server sucks" because of the frequent seg faults...

We don't have an answer yet Shrike wow.gif , but I expect BIS are aware of the problem so a fix should be on the way.

Yes Confirm the XML problem with 1.90 dedicated Linux on clients 1.85 and 1.90.

The server hangs for 3-6 seconds every time a players with XML connects.

I reinstalled the 1.88b and the problem of hanging disappears and the old ERROR LOG appears and the server crashes more often...

Lt_Dan_Sweden

can we have a update from a codemaster representative on this bug any fixes due for this in future patches??? as we cant open our server up to the public cause it crashes every 5 mins

thanks  confused.gif

Worst time so far according to my logfile: 9 crashes in 47 minutes sad.gif

Our server runs sweet.. yet bring in some bad XML and then **crash** mad.gif

This topic will only get larger BIS/Codemasters.

Tracer

I’ve done some further testing on the Linux 1.90 DS connection issue and found the following happens with different “Squad URL:†settings:

Squad URL: = EMPTY – Connection OK

Squad URL: = http://www.yoursquad.com/squadpage.xml - server stops responding

Squad URL: = www.yoursquad.com/squadpage.xml - server stops responding

Squad URL: = qwertyuiop (or any other nonsense text) – all server processes end and you get a “Segmentation faultâ€

Hope this help with the beta program BIS biggrin.gif

Do you get these same errors? Let us know PLEASE

as per kegertys reply 1.90 didnt help we also get random crashes now for no apparent reason and still same xml problem confused.gif

When people enter our server.. it grinds to a halt while we wait for that person to full connect. confused.gif

Tracer

Check the clans that are posting here BIS/Codemasters... they are mostly made up of clans that allow public access to their servers. These clans pay money for the servers so the flashpoint population enjoys the game. Sort out the Linux issue so more and more can join.

Tracer

hum, very quiet on this post. are BIS on holiday wow.gif

Suma/Maruk, could you just add a comment to this post PLEASE biggrin.gif . Anything confused.gif

Email received from madtomo who got some (albeit little) from BIS/Codemasters

Suma

OFP Lead Programmer

Group: OF developer

Posted: Oct. 29 2002,10:32

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem acknowledged. Fix in the works.

--------------

Ondrej Spanel, BIS Lead Programmer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok mailed suma to ask him if he could please check this thread and comment

Yup... me again.. aiming to get this topic to the top all day and all night wow.gif

Bad XML again crashed our server. Now it under lock and key for members only and invited guests... SHOULDN'T BE THIS WAY. WE WANT THE PUBLIC TO SHARE OUR FAST SERVER biggrin.gif

It thinks xml is a file and when it cant find it , it causes a segmentation fault. mad.gif

You will get sick of this topic BIS mad.gif

Sort it!!!!! It benefits the public biggrin.gif

Tracer

Suma did say "a fix is in the works" biggrin.gif

But I suggest all Linus DS admins follow Tracer_SS lead and lock your servers or you will never get a game off the ground.

Just a thought (I can't try this one right now myself):

Insert proxy parameter (new since 1.89) in your server config, have it point to e.g. localhost:8080 without having anything running on that port actually. XML files won't be loaded (obviously), but perhaps the server won't crash on this?

I can't test this right now, but perhaps this could provide a temporary relief for all public linux servers...

Thanks Hitman, i will try this. But i think the crashes in 1.88 came from wrong xml urls where the dedi server tried to access that file locally, i.e. blocking web access wouldn't have helped in that case. And if the problem in 1.90 has the same cause it likely won't help now.

But as a fix is already coming it wouldn't be that bad if the proxy thing wouldn't help biggrin.gif