Sign in to follow this  
Ex3B

So the new Drones got me thinking

The new drones, in particular the minelaying drone, do not have separate UAV controls and UAV turret controls.... and I think its just great.

I've been wondering for a while if there was something specifi to drones that prevented the use of a targeting camera like that found on the piloted fixed wing aircraft - apparently there isn't.

Also the old MQ-12 turret controls camera was not very good - either you had no stabilization, or you turned it on and couldn't pan the camera at all.

I for one would like to see all the flying drones have their control scheme reworked to be like the new drones - just a single pilot with a stabilized camera that the pilot can switch to while maintaining control of the craft, does anyone else agree?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ex3B said:

The new drones, in particular the minelaying drone, do not have separate UAV controls and UAV turret controls.... and I think its just great.

I've been wondering for a while if there was something specifi to drones that prevented the use of a targeting camera like that found on the piloted fixed wing aircraft - apparently there isn't.

Also the old MQ-12 turret controls camera was not very good - either you had no stabilization, or you turned it on and couldn't pan the camera at all.

I for one would like to see all the flying drones have their control scheme reworked to be like the new drones - just a single pilot with a stabilized camera that the pilot can switch to while maintaining control of the craft, does anyone else agree?

Definitely agree. Also, another idea: give the UGV Stomper a "TGP camera", seeing as it has that little camera on the top-front of the chassis.

• Like 1

yes,

I also wonder if it would be possible to have 2 people control a drone at once. In the case of the armed stomper, a single player can act as the driver, or act as the gunner, but it doesn't seem that 2 people can control it together as driver and gunner as you can with a manned tank/apc.

Although from the gunner position, you can drive the tank reasonably well.

So... for the unarmed stomper variant, I'd just suggest giving it a turret with a laser designator. The driver can switch to turret controls, and still drive from there.

You can "jury rig" this by just using an armed stomper and removing its weapons in with commands in the init field, and adding a laser designator.

This doesn't work for the flying drones though. If it did, then flying from the turret control position wouldn't be so different from flying a fixed wing manned aircraft from the targeting camera position