Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

Can "setVelocity" be used to control a helicopter landing flare ?

Hi Folks,

I'm sure anyone who's used ArmA more than a couple times is quite familiar with the absurd landing flare helicopters utilize while approaching an LZ - honestly - you might as well just paint a bullseye on the bottom of your helicopter and wait to be hit... I'm assuming this happens because the aerodynamics modeled in the sim - honestly - aren't that great - and in order to bleed off speed BIS coded for the helicopters to climb... I really can't use the "unit capture" function as an alternative as that's a one time deal and I want this script to be modular... Has anyone experimented with "setVelocity" to control the flare making something resembling a combat approach to an LZ ??? Just thinking if this would work to bleed off speed a little better and perhaps limit the climb ???

Any insights on how to improve the flare would be appreciated...

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott 

3 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

I'm sure anyone who's used ArmA more than a couple times - is familiar with the absurd landing flare helicopters utilize while approaching an LZ - honestly - you might as well just paint a bullseye on the bottom of your helicopter and wait to be hit... I'm assuming this happens because the aerodynamics modeled in the sim - honestly - aren't that great - and in order to bleed off speed BIS coded for the helicopters to climb...

This doesn't happen because of the aerodynamics but with players/AI who fail to slow down soon enough before landing.

If you know where you want to touch down reduce your speed early enough, this also helps you flying at a lower altitude.

Play with the limitspeed command for AI piloted choppers and reduce it depending on distance to the touch down point.

Slowing down 2-3km before reaching the LZ usually does the trick.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi GOM,

Thanks - as always for the informative response...

Yeah - I didn't state it above but I am talking strictly about AI Pilots...

I'll look at the limitSpeed command - never used it - but if I recall correctly it needs to be in a loop to work...

I also noted a reference somewhere that said flyinHeight has the floor set at 50 meters - would you know if it works below that altitude ?

Interesting side note: In the US invasion of Grenada - IIRC we lost three helicopters at one LZ - the first pilot was hopped up being on his first combat mission and came in way too fast - hit the ground and exploded - the subsequent two thinking number one was hit by enemy fire came in just as fast or faster - with the same result... Controlling your energy into an LZ seems all important...

Regards,
Scott  

Hi GOM,

Ahh - disregard my subsequent - the WIKI answered...

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott