Sign in to follow this  
MoodyB

Popping tree/bush textures

Hey all,

My apologies if this has been covered recently( I searched and couldnt find anything ).I'd like to know the solution to stop the LOD textures on trees and bushes appearing about 40ft in front of you in OPF 1.85(they appear lores for quite a distance then suddenly change to a higher res texture pretty close up)This has annoyed my for a while and playing with various settings doesnt seem to improve it.

Can anyone offer any advice?

My system :

XP1900+ / Win98SE / 512MB / 64mb GeForce3 / DX8.1 /

Det 30.30 / Soltek SL-DRV5 /

Regards,

ALan

Hmm OTTOMH dropping the fps slider down fixes that I think smile.gif

Yes, it is basically a combination of the frame rate and visual quality slider positions in the Video Options.

I don't think your system is capable of avoiding the popping trees with both settings maxed out, so you'll have to experiment a little to find a compromise setting. Personally, I don't mind giving up a few FPS for trees that don't suddenly jump out at me.

Thanks for the replys guys.The terrain detail is set to normal.Visual quality is set at max with the framerate slider at its lowest.Still get the odd popping texture though.....

In certain condition, i agree with

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Update your Detonator drivers.<span id='postcolor'>

but up there i read

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">64mb GeForce3<span id='postcolor'>

Last drivers does not mean best drivers , and especially with nvidia

the last versions of the detonators drivers are GF4 optimised , and GF3 show less gaming (not pointless benchmarking number, these thing means nothing) performances with them

The same thing with driver superior to the 23.xx version and the GF2 , they are useless because they are optimised GF3 and degrade GF2 perfs.

I think the best solution , if you dont want to experiment with install/uninstall detonators drivers for your GF3 will be to spend some time to test several combination of setting in OFP , both ingame Options settings and preference panel oustide OFP

And if you can, find RivaTuner, a good freeware to tweak the nvidia cards

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Chronicles @ Nov. 24 2002,06:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And if you can, find RivaTuner, a good freeware to tweak the nvidia cards<span id='postcolor'>

I searched The FAQ and found RivaTuner. tounge.gifsmile.gif

I wasn't necessarily advocating the latest Detonators, though I've noticed none of the degradation you're talking about on a bland clone system with a GF2 32MB - only improvements and fewer stutters, CTDs and freezes.

I upgraded to v31.40 of the Dets.Havent ran OPF since though to see if it made any difference.Currently running v2.rc12 of Rivatuner so I'll post my settings when I get home later tonight as I'm still at work(please god,let me win the lottery:))

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Chronicles @ Nov. 24 2002,05:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In certain condition, i agree with

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Update your Detonator drivers.<span id='postcolor'>

but up there i read

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">64mb GeForce3<span id='postcolor'>

Last drivers does not mean best drivers , and especially with nvidia

the last versions of the detonators drivers are GF4 optimised , and GF3 show less gaming (not pointless benchmarking number, these thing means nothing) performances with them

The same thing with driver superior to the 23.xx version and the GF2 , they are useless because they are optimised GF3 and degrade GF2 perfs.

I think the best solution , if you dont want to experiment with install/uninstall detonators drivers for your GF3 will be to spend some time to test several combination of setting in OFP , both ingame Options settings and preference panel oustide OFP

And if you can, find RivaTuner, a good freeware to tweak the nvidia cards<span id='postcolor'>

Do you know which drivers are the best for a

nvidia geforce 2 256 DDR?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (hugo2020 @ Nov. 25 2002,17:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">--The same thing with driver superior to the 23.xx version and the GF2 , they are useless because they are optimised GF3 and degrade GF2 perfs.--

'Do you know which drivers are the best for a

nvidia geforce 2 256 DDR?'<span id='postcolor'>

Well going by the theory posted above,I'd say the 23.11/23.12?

The 23.11 drivers make OFP look a mess!

My dad's PC at home has a GF2 Ultra installed, with 23.11 . Although I have turned off anti-aliasing in the display options, it looks as if OFP has re-enabled some ugly, primitive form of anti-aliasing, rendering the text on the start & option screens unreadable.

In short, I don't recommend those drivers.

That sounds like the Mipmap setting for the GeForce2 was set to its lowest setting. That produces the fastest framerate, but it also causes the text in OFP to get quite blurry.

Go into the Control Panel -> Display -> Settings -> Advanced and look in the Direct3D dialogs, and try setting it to "Best Quality" or whatever they call it.

Getting a third-party tweaking program such as RivaTuner would make the job much easier. Also, I'd get new Detonator drivers while you are at it.