Sign in to follow this  
axedup

Problem adjusting the Terrains Height (Z)

Hi all,

I've been playing around with the new A3 tools for a long time now & having 1 problem. What makes this worse, is that I had this working in Arma2!!

Basically, I've been all over these forums and followed the various guides & tutorials for example...

http://pmc.editing.wiki/doku.php?id=arma3:terrain:ultimate-terrain-tutorial

& my problem doesn't seem to be covered by any posts I can see

I have my Heightmap in, I have my satellite image in, I have my mask in & all processes error free, but where I'm suffering is I cannot find where to set the "Z" value of the terrain in the Terrain Builder tool.

The terrain seems to be running to infinity (maybe 15,000m) in the vertical direction, and a pixel change in the heightmap (tif), can drop 1000's of meters in 1 step.

The max height this terrain should be at 700m approx.

So some rough dimensions I'm using...

Heightmap 4096 (x4) = 16384m - tif

Sat img 8192 (x2) = 16834m - bmp

Sat Mask 8192 (x2) = 16834m - bmp

In the following pics, you can see the probs & settings.

1, Terrain Builder view - All the contours are packed around the height range zero -> beach area, no internal mountains / hills are covered with any height detail.

6ElzouY.jpg

2, The project (mapframe settings)

PmwJ9vU.jpg

3, The Bulldozer view, note the extreme vertical variation from heightmap pixel to pixel.

XxyHCNJ.jpg

What am I doing wrong here?

If someone can some one point me to the a setting that modifies the height, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks,

Axedup

P.S.  I also closed my heightmap tools (bottom left) and cant get them back... any help there as well ? :)

How big is your heightmap outside of terrain builder? I'm guessing it's bigger, than the settings you are trying to use in TB. So what happens is, TB down scales it. BUT TB doesn't downscale the Z range! So you end up with this squashed height map, where all the hills have been made sky high.

If you made it in L3DT, you need to re size your heightmap and reduce the vertical range, by how much you resize it by. So if you resize it by 50% you also need to reduce the vertical range by 50% to keep everything in scale

Also texture layer should be 32x32 or as close to it, not 4. But that is not the cause of your troubles

Hey RoF,

I get your reasoning with the re-scaling, but i don't think thats the prob here. 

The actual (tif) is 4096 px. So I do the x4 multiplier to get me to desired 16km size.

Not L3DT

The heightmap I created years ago (A2 times) from some satellite imagery site, and only now moving it up to A3.

I do all the work in Photoshop / world machine for my adjustments & don't go near L3DT.

Range (Z)

As far as the Height in the image (being greyscale & in the range of 0 -> 255) it probably covers 0 - 200. (I trimmed off the extreme white values).

Texture Layer

Thanks, I'll set it to 32x32. What exactly is that for?

I saw it made an adjustment to the numbers in the final sat grid / Sat segments area.. but I dunno its effect so far.

P.S.  I also closed my heightmap tools (bottom left) and cant get them back... any help there as well ? :)

SOLVED by... Window\Object properties gets you the terrain properties window back.

I was looking for a dedicated terrain properties window, but the object properties, must cover all "selections" and the terrain must be one of them!