Sign in to follow this  
nalesnik

skill settings

My question is theoretically simple: how skill setting (you can change it in unit window in the editor) influences unit (AI) behaviour in game ?

it makes ai units better in aiming, and better at all -

using an ai unit with 100% skill, can save many loss

of performance by lag - they also start to move around

you and flanking you or comming from behind - an ai

unit with 100% skill is always better then 3 ai's with 0%

(or maybe more)

Have any of you by chance noticed that when you put a group on the editor map, leader has fairly high AI, but then every man down in the group lose some AI, and the last soldier is an idiot.. check their AI settings and you´ll see what I mean. This is annoying, every time I want multiple groups on a map, I have to manually edit every single unit to be sure they are smart enough to at least stand a chance against the enemy. I usually set the group leader´s AI to a maximum, then just watching how he commands his group is pure pleasure, especially if all of them have the AI slider set to 100%. They seek cover immediately when you open fire at them, and if they are many, expect unpleasant company from behind *G*. It is truly amazing to see how they make sure you focus on what´s going in in front of you so that you never see those who sneak up on you.

Hidden

The default AI level is a bit low.

if you look at most of the BIS missions they have the AI skill set a lot higher than this default, and also most officers are set to Major or higher.

It is really annoying that you have to change the skill and rank settings each time you add a new unit, so I normally create one group, alter the skills to the level I want, and then copy and paste this group whenever I want more blokes.

Saves a lot of messing about with these settings.

Is there any way to define own groups that appear in the editor? It *should* be pretty easy adding a definition to some file.

Any idea on how to do this?

yes FatBob there is a way

(expecting you don't mean your own addon group)

create your own group on an empty map (you

can also create more than one) - and copy/paste

them to your maps - i'm sure it's not exactly what

you were asking for, but it's a way to do it - other

way is; create your own addon-group (you could

also use original soldiers for that)