thirith

Non-dedicated vs. dedicated server?

I'm running occasional Arma 3 coop sessions for 4-8 players (online, not LAN), using the PC I'm playing on as the server. However, I'm curious whether it might be worth using my old computer as a dedicated server. My gaming PC is an i7-4790k with 16GB RAM; my old PC is an i7-950 with 12GB RAM.

Under these circumstances, would it be worth setting up my old PC as a dedicated server? What are the main advantages and disadvantages? And do you have any tips with respect to running a dedicated server? Finally, is TADST still a good way to run a simple server? (I did this while running Arma 2 games along the lines of what I'm now doing for Arma 3.)

I'm absolutely new to Arma 3 servers but the most obvious advantage would be the freed up core your 4790k would get, the arma server being a single thread process.

The perfomance of the sever itself may, however, still become worse depending on the CPU core speed. I'd try it out and see if you can feel a difference in server perfomance.

• Like 1

Thanks, I'll probably try it out some time. Do you know whether missions downloaded via Steam Workshop would show up on a dedicated server?

3 hours ago, thirith said:

Thanks, I'll probably try it out some time. Do you know whether missions downloaded via Steam Workshop would show up on a dedicated server?

I've not used a windows server for arma yet but theoretically they should run fine, given they are made for multiplayer and palced into the mpmission folder

From what I've seen and read, Steam Workshop puts things (i.e. mods and missions) in odd places, but it looks like there are some workarounds, e.g. symbolic links. Will try this out later this week.

missions are often stored in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata

not always easy to find files from workshop, i use to do a file search in the steam folder with the mod/map name

• Like 1