Sign in to follow this  
warhawk373

What exactly does increasing the % resolution do?

I read some guy that said putting it at 200% makes it run smoother.  I thought it was just supposed to make it look better.  Sometimes when I'm playing the campaign or missions my game will stutter while shooting and being shot at.  After I fire a few rounds the stutter stops but when I first engage I basically have to just lay there until the stutter stops so I can aim.  Turning corners is a nightmare because If I see an enemy I have to just pull the trigger and wait for my game to stop lagging to see which one of us came out alive.  Would putting the res to 200% fix that?  If not, would something else fix that?  

Processor: Intel i5-4690k @3.5GHz quad-core

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Motherboard: MSI B85M

Shouldn't that setup be able to run arma 3 high-ultra at 60+ FPS?  During heavier campaign missions I get ~30 FPS on medium-high settings.  Like view distance and object distance are both at ~1500m shadows are medium, textures high, objects are medium, res is 1080.  I turned terrain to it's lowest because that increased my frames by like 5-8.  On lighter missions I get ~50-70 depending on how light the mission is.  But I still stutter.

Even in editor I get that stutter from shooting and occasional lag.  The further away I am the less I stutter though.  When I'm 10m away It's the "pull trigger and hope for good outcome" but when I'm being shot at from 300m It's not noticeable. 

As far as I understand it setting your resolution % makes it render that much above or below your current resolution setting. I have mine set at 120%, so it renders slightly above my setting, and is sampled back down. I think of it as a slightly more preferable version of AA. If you set your % to 75, you get a "muddy" look, where the lower resolution is sampled upwards.

I doubt it will affect your stutter problem, unless you have it set to really high (like your 200% example), that's more likely to be hard drive access or something similar. Try defragmentation, or an SSD drive if you can afford it.

Trees and AA looks better, also you get crispy pictures with increased 3D Res. It forces GPU a little. Mine the Perfect balance of GPU and CPU i use is setting 3d res at 133% and FSSA 2X. Much Better then 100% and 8xAA or 4xAA. I play at 1920/1080 

the game will render the screen on higher resolution then downsample it to your actual resolution

as @Gera_CCT wrote it comes on some performance cost (depending on GPU) but brings better visuals (depending on resolution)