Whitefame

Trying to make a tank with more than 2 tracks

Hello, im currently trying to make a tank with four tracks. I can't find any tutorial how to get this working and when looking at the "Arma 3 Tanks Config Guidelines" it says that the all left wheels have to be in one line, and right wheels have to be in one line as well (for physx wheels), which i currently don't have. 
Is it possible to get a tank with 4 tracks working (and with them not being in line) or can't I make a tank with more than two tracks?

n7BDBFM.png

View from the front and side.

CmaMZvg.png

View from the top where one can clearly see that the tracks are not in line.

you can't make a tank with 4 distinct tracks via physx. You can make it visually however, as you don't have to make the visual tracks exactly the same as the physx tracks. You could unify it for the physx model so that the rear visual is a little bit too wide, and the front a little bit too narrow, but you have one single track per side.

Ingame that won't be noticeable too much.

cmamzvgdlapf.png

I would not model the smaller wheels - or at least only the front most one (on front unit) and the rear most one (rear unit), but make them just as large in the physx model. Different wheel sizes can be troublesome (cause an average wheelsize is calculated and everything goes based of that).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, x3kj said:

you can't make a tank with 4 distinct tracks via physx. You can make it visually however, as you don't have to make the visual tracks exactly the same as the physx tracks. You could unify it for the physx model so that the rear visual is a little bit too wide, and the front a little bit too narrow, but you have one single track per side.

Ingame that won't be noticeable too much.

cmamzvgdlapf.png

I would not model the smaller wheels - or at least only the front most one (on front unit) and the rear most one (rear unit), but make them just as large in the physx model. Different wheel sizes can be troublesome (cause an average wheelsize is calculated and everything goes based of that).

Thanks a lot, that makes sense. Wonder why i didn't think of that. xD

I will try and do it that way! But should the ground contact points be made after the physx model or the normal model then?

ground contact (roadway LOD) can be after visual LOD if you prefer- its only for defining the initial heigth offset to ground when spawning, so it doesnt really have a big effect

The points for the physx wheels have to be in line (like explained).

I suggest to try put a prototype with just a very basic mesh ingame to test it as early as possible - nothing sucks more than to have modelled an entire thing and then not work properly ingame

• Like 1