paranoid_giraffe

[SOLVED] addWaypoint breaks when requested multiple times

I am going to start off and say I've been trying to troubleshoot this code for several hours. Basically I have a market set up and I want a lot of AI to walk to different points of interest. Right now I have several flagpoles set up with variable names set as "POI_1" to "POI_15". 

The Code:

_pois = [POI_1,POI_2,POI_3,POI_4,POI_5,POI_6,POI_7,POI_8,POI_9,POI_10,POI_11,POI_12,POI_13,POI_14,POI_15];
_rtime = 5; // random time for completion of waypoint
_spd = (random (2))+1; // decude whether to walk to sprint
_wpradius = 0; // waypoint radius
_wp = (group (_this select 0)) addWaypoint [getPos (_pois select (random (count _pois))), _wpradius]; // create waypoint
_wp setWaypointBehaviour "CARELESS";
_wp setWaypointCombatMode "BLUE";
_wp setWaypointCompletionRadius 3;
_wp setWaypointForceBehaviour true;
// _wp setWaypointPosition 
// _wp setWaypointScript 
if (_spd==1) then { _wp setWaypointSpeed "NORMAL"} else { _wp setWaypointSpeed "LIMITED"};
_wp setWaypointStatements ["true","_null = [this]execVM('ai_behavior.sqf');"];
_wp setWaypointTimeout [1, _rtime/2, _rtime];
_wp setWaypointType "MOVE";

Additionally, this is set up in the init box of the AI:

_null = [this]execVM('ai_behavior.sqf');

And the problem is that this script works absolutely perfectly when there is one AI. I can set it to fast-forward and let it run for a very long time and the AI will walk to different flagpoles either walking or jogging to each, and the script will never hang up. The problem stems from having multiple AI. Then I get errors saying the following:

'...ius = 0;
_wp = (group (_this select 0)) |#|addWaypoint [getPos (_pois select (random (count _pois))), _wpradius];
Error 0 elements provided, 3 expected
File C:\Users\****\Documents\Arma 3 - Other Profiles\Giraffe%20PVT%2e\missions\black_market.pja305\ai_behavior.sqf, line 38

Ignore the fact that is says line 38 - I have a lot of comments at the top of the script. This is for a multiplayer mission. Thanks for reading.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and this isn't for a "life" server. (I know that carries a negative stigma for many people.) It's for a new PvP gamemode I am working on. 

EDIT2:

CORRECTED CODE

Spoiler

_pois = [POI_1,POI_2,POI_3,POI_4,POI_5,POI_6,POI_7,POI_8,POI_9,POI_10,POI_11,POI_12,POI_13,POI_14,POI_15];
_wp = (group (_this select 0)) addWaypoint [getPos (selectRandom(_pois)), _wpradius]; // create waypoint
if (_spd==1) then { _wp setWaypointSpeed "NORMAL"} else { _wp setWaypointSpeed "LIMITED"};

(_pois select (random (count _pois)))

is wrong. You need to floor it. Change it to

selectRandom _pois

else you could get 14.5 which rounds to 15 which doesn't exist.

It does? The wiki for "random" says that, provided a single number (n), it will provide a random int between 0 and n-1. Wouldn't that mean "random 15" provides 0-14?

EDIT: better yet, just discovered "selectRandom"

I'll use that as a substitute and get back to you.

3 minutes ago, paranoid_giraffe said:

It does? The wiki for "random" says that, provided a single number (n), it will provide a random int between 0 and n-1. Wouldn't that mean "random 15" provides 0-14?

No, it doesn't. random 1 produces things like 0.3, 0.8875, 0.9889...etc. Random 15 can give you 14.5 just fine.

Edit: Where exactly does it say that?

6 minutes ago, paranoid_giraffe said:

EDIT: better yet, just discovered "selectRandom"

I'll use that as a substitute and get back to you.

random provides a number with decimals. Use floor random 15 to get correct indexes.

Count-1 will work but will give you a uneven distribution if that bothers you. 

Just now, theend3r said:

No, it doesn't. random 1 produces things like 0.3, 0.8875, 0.9889...etc. Random 15 can give you 14.5 just fine.

I think this may be a classic case of not enough sleep. The example clearly shows "floor random 10", not "random 10". Okay, I am not going insane.

I'll get back to you on the selectRandom's performance after I let it run for a bit

AH. So the random indices were breaking the addWaypoint. Thank you!

Corrected code:

_wp = (group (_this select 0)) addWaypoint [getPos (selectRandom(_pois)), _wpradius]; // create waypoint

This was a simple and embarrassing case of bad math and being unable to count. Thank you!