Sign in to follow this  
x3kj

discreteDistanceCameraPoint nightmare

Can someone share their wisdom on how to make real, functional and accurate ironsights, using discreteDistanceCameraPoints?

Is there any way to achieve that without meticulously adjusting each eyepoint and finetune each sight position to that eyepoint position by trial and error?

The system seems to me as if it just takes whatever it wants as reference point, and it makes me want to explode.

What i have tried thus far is this:

I calculated (and corrected/confirmed via ingame tests) the elevation of the gun to hit at the specific range. Then i created discrete eyepoints and matching sight rotation for the ranges based on these tests.

Example:  rotating Grenadelauncher sight (GP-25 style)

2016-12-3000_56_50-grqds7s.png

The purple thing represents the barrel. The center of the white circle is the rotation axis of the sightunit (grey) with the iron sight elements(blue). The red lines are one for each discrete eyepoint. They meet in the middle of the white circle, which is where the cameraDir memorypoint is located. This means that the cameraDir memorypoint will be in the sight-line for each and every discrete eyepoint, no matter how the sight rotates.

So much for the theory. Ingame this just results in complete bullshit - the cameraDir point is basically ignored. 

look_at_bullshitlwsmw.png

(click to enlarge)

In the most left instance, notice the white little dot above the "clear lines" text (and marked with purple arrow). It represents the middle of the screen. Notice how the sight moves upwards. And the sight isn't properly aligned in any of the discrete distance settings. The angle is ok but there is a height offset, which makes the angle just completely useless - as it no longer results in the correct elevation angle when the modelled sight is used. When you use the center of screen (the dot), all is well.

How the hell do you properly adjust for this annoying offset? Does the system use some other memorypoint as reference? Because this just seems broken to me. I noticed that vanilla weapons using the system had the same issue.