Sign in to follow this  
svisketyggeren

Tigris/cheetah tactics

Been playing KOTH with the Tigris AA tank lately. So im wondering about some practical stuff.

When im using the autocannons against fast moving aircrafts, im pressing T to lock onto target....I get this straight changing line with a circular target at the end. I suppose its calculating where I should aim since the aircraft is moving. But....I never manage to hit a jet with the autocannons, not unless the jet is comming straight towards me. Is there some trick to this, or is it just damn hard to take down a jet 1000-2000 m away with autocannons?

Is there a button(s) I can press to change between driver and gunner positions? Not scrolling with mousewheel.

In some videos on you tube I see the zeroing set to auto. How do I toggle that?

On the radar, is there any way to judge how high up a object is?

If I lock onto a target, shot a AA missile, do I need to unlock and lock again to shot another missile? If I spam all the missiles ive noticed only the first one goes after the aircraft.

Anyone got a tips and trick they wanna share? Thinking mainly about tactics aginst jets. Sometimes I see nothing on the radar...and suddenly BAM! some jet blows me up. I almost get the feeling they see me long before I see them :(

• Like 1

You have to aim at the little circle at the end of the long line, that is the point of aim. Sorry I cannot help you with the rest, but that is something. Practice in the editor and get used to aiming at long range, this will help you out. Just add a jet that will pass you and try to shoot it down.

1. Covered by previous poster. I'll add that yes, 1000m+ is pretty hard to hit with auto-cannons even with targeting assistance. 

2. nope, usually you won't need to be mobile when engaging air targets, just find a nice high perch to camp on.

3. Locking on to a target via right clicking will activate the auto range, Keep in it's still a estimate and manual is still the best way to judge it.

4. Nope, this is were the commander comes in handy though. Sometimes simply popping out and using some optics is more effiecnt.

5. Flares in Arma 3 from a mechanics point, litarlly simply stop the lock on whatever vehicle your shooting. So if you shoot to fast, chances are the burst of flares simply disabled all the locks. 

Now to good stuff:

I done AA dedication for plenty of CTI servers, having to deal with ATGM spam and all that good stuff. Obviously I don't want to write a book, but here is a few tactics I learned.

• Don't be afraid to dismount and remount based on visual spotting. A dismounted tank won't get targeted by lock spam from air vehicles. It also keeps you some one stealth ed and might lure air even closer. 
  • Position yourself on the sides of hills not on top. Unless your confident you can hit the enemy first, it's better to have them fly over you and engage to avoid getting killed first.
  • Be patient with your missiles. A well placed single missile burst is far more deadly then giving away your tank by spamming them. Why the most optimal shot placement is through trail and error. Shacktac sorta dated but still relative Manpad guide on the best angles to engage. In basic I find the less correction the AA missile has to do, the more likely it will hit it's target.
  • Treat each engagement as you would a ambush, you want to lure air assets in as close as you can get before engaging.
  • Your auto-cannons are excellent infantry/light vehicles killers, just remember though your not a tank. So after shooting up a squad a bit, consider re-positioning to avoid AT fire.
  • Like 1

..Thinking mainly about tactics aginst jets. Sometimes I see nothing on the radar...and suddenly BAM! some jet blows me up. I almost get the feeling they see me long before I see them :(

The good news is that KOTH have just introduced the UK#1 No Jets server which means tanks and AFV's have got a better chance of surviving for more than 5 minutes..:)

However, they've left in all the attack choppers (groan) which means we still get chewed up real bad by the helis  ATGM's, rockets, miniguns and door gunners!

I've suggested in their forum that they should throw out ALL armed choppers- 

http://hostiletakeover.co/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4983

As regards your Tigris question, I've had almost no experience with it because my favourite anti-aircraft weapon is the shoulder Titan AA and it does the job nicely, but I'll run some Tigris (and other cannon-armed/HMG-armed AFV) tests later and post the results here in your thread.

• Like 1

Okay I ran some Tigris tests-

He's a Neophron flying left to right, I lock hiim up and open up with the Tigris's  twin 35mm guns, keeping the crosshairs not on the plane but on the white aiming circle, and two smoke puffs indicate I'm getting hits even at this long range.

Tip- don't fire in bursts, jam your finger on the fire button and keep it there for sustained continuous fire at the white circle.

Another tip-  don't use zoom or it'll be harder to pan fast across the sky, stay unzoomed like this pic as the aiming circle is big enough without zooming-

AA3-Tig1_zpss4bsycfp.jpg~original

I carry on hosing him down as he gets closer and he takes more hits.

(And yes I know the crosshairs are not in the circle, it's difficult to keep them there so we just have to do our best)-

AA3-Tig2_zpsppfssqks.jpg~original

And he goes in hard. (The pilot ejected out of frame)

AA3-Tig3_zpsrtplgrpy.jpg~original

And now a test using the Tigris's 4 x Titan AA missiles-

I lock him up and fire all 4 missiles one after the other at less than a second intervals. (you don't have to re-lock each time you fire, as the original lock holds good for all the missiles) 

4 smoke puffs indicate 4 hits, he ain't walking away from this-

AA3-Tig-Titan2_zpsqykhe3lp.jpg~original

Down he goes-

AA3-Tig-titan3_zpsapzmdlzn.jpg~original

I also ran some Cheetah tests but couldn't shoot the jet down with its 12.7 HMG, (it's got no missiles)

Maybe the jet took some slight damage but I couldn't tell as there were no smoke puffs. Also the Cheetah has got no radar so you can't lock up the plane and you have to use your eyeball.

However I was able to shoot down a Mohawk heli easily.

Conclusion- the Cheetah is almost useless against jets but does better against choppers.

• Like 2