Sign in to follow this  
HeroesandvillainsOS

Custom images on posters. Is there any way to optimize it?

I've been messing around with adding some custom images to maps and posters in the editor. It's pretty cool! But they seem to struggle loading in no mater what I do. I've noticed that the lower I make the resolution, the faster they appear, but even dropping the image pixels down to 200x200, the mission still starts with black images while the game looks for the assets and it's pretty ugly. Sometimes too, they won't load in at all until I walk right up to the object.

This is the code I'm using in the object's init:

this SetObjectTexture [0,"images\imagename.jpg"];
Is there anything that can be done to optimize it at all?

it can, use a proper file format and dimension ratio size

Using .paa rather than .jpg should help, not had any issues with our old images, also have them as multiples of 512 x 512 or 1024 x 1024 etc is meant to be best practice, never tried other resolutions though.

• Like 2

it can, use a proper file format and dimension ratio size

If I already knew the proper file format and ratio size to use, I wouldn't have started the thread.

Using .paa rather than .jpg should help, not had any issues with our old images, also have them as multiples of 512 x 512 or 1024 x 1024 etc is meant to be best practice, never tried other resolutions though.

Oh ok. I'll see if using .paa with higher resolution helps. If using them is different than just putting the file in my images folder in my mission root, could you let me know? I'm pretty new to all this. And thanks for the helpful reply!

Awesome. Thanks, Richie. Converting to .paa works like a charm.

If anyone finds this on google later, I couldn't get the BI Tools to convert a jpg to paa. I had to convert the jpg to a png before the image to paa tools would work for whatever reason.

Now they load perfectly and instantly at 512x512 resolution.

I appreciate it a lot.

• Like 1