Sign in to follow this  
silentghoust

Tank questions for Arma 3

So I'm pretty green on modding Arma in general.I have a tank model all modeled and such, but I found there is very little documentation on actually importing a tank. I have read through the config tutorials and watched several videos, but I still have lots of questions. 

Treads -
Is the texture doing the moving or the model itself?
How do the treads interact with the wheels?
Do I need to segment them out? If so, how sensitive is it to keeping them all even?

Fire Geometry - Could some one explain a bit more on this from the modeling part? I get the config, but is this a layer I need to add before import? Does thickness really matter or is simply a config?

Hitpoints - Is these something I need to model, or added in O2 during the export processes?

Any modders willing to post a blender friendly tank model for me to look at? 

Apart from tread questions, all the other questions should be answered by the LOD wiki page and the links in their articles. Hitpoints you need to model yourself. Idk if there is a functionality in blender for that. I use max and i just model triangles with 1 point where i want the hitpoint. After import in OB, i delete the 2 other poitns.

Threads are one solid mesh. The texture is moved up or down, which gives the illusion that the track moves. They are totally independant of the wheels basically. The model of the track is animated to move up or down together with the wheels, but the "rotating" of track segments is purely texture based.

One thing to keep in mind - you can't easily affect the speed the track texture moves. There is a config value "tracksSpeed = 1;" but if you set it to anything other than an integer value (1,2,3, ...) the texture will "skip" basically, which looks pretty bad. To adjust the speed of your track properly you have to change how many tracklinks are in your texture. That's the only way to do it. So i suggest making some very simple bitmaps to see how many tracklinks you need in the texture for it to look somewhat adequate.

Look at the A3 Sample Tank[steam library->tools->A3 samples], or the released Arma 2 files to see how the models of the track are set up and how the track texture looks.

Thank you for the reply, one more question. I currently have the treads seperate from my wheels, I noticed in Arma 3 the treads "buckle" when they go over stuff. Do I need to segment my treads for this reason then?

you need to add extra vertices where you want the track to move up/down with a particular wheel (or in other word: deform), yes.

On 8/17/2016 at 6:20 AM, x3kj said:

There is a config value "tracksSpeed = 1;" but if you set it to anything other than an integer value (1,2,3, ...) the texture will "skip" basically, which looks pretty bad.

I personally have a tank with 8 links in the texture. I use a value tracksspeed = 1.5, and it doesn't have a visible skip.

<THEORY>
You can use non-integers, as long as your textures and values meet some criteria:
A: The number of links in your texture compensate for the decimal. E.G.: If you have 4 links, you can use multiples of 0.25, provided that...
B: Each link is not unique. Continuing the example above, if you have 4 very different looking links, then you are better off sticking to integers. If your texture has 4 links with two distinctly marked/scarred links and a repeat for the other two, then you will be able to get away with using multiples of 0.5. Caveat is if the distinction is there, but not noticeable when they're in motion, then you can probably use 0.25.
C: Other examples would be:

3 non-distinct links: x0.33333

6 non-distinct links: x0.16667

6 links with 2 unique links cloned twice (2 by 3 pattern: x0.33333

6 links with 3 links cloned once (3 by 2 pattern): x0.5

...you get the idea.
</THEORY>

Each link in my 8-link texture is a little different, but it's so minuscule that it might work with a number like 1.125 (or any multiple of 1/8) for tracksspeed, according to the theory. Even in slow motion, the skip would go practically unnoticed.

Edited by scotg
attempt at clearer phrasing
  • Like 1