Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

The conquest of greece

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>After Alexander's death in 323 A.D., the vast Greek Empire spreading from Sicily to India was left in disarray. Alexander had not appointed a successor to his supreme reign before his untimely death, and as a result the Greek Empire started breaking up.

In 277-239 A.D. under King Antigonus II Gonatos, mainland Greece is rocked by civil war once again. In 274 A.D. Pyrrhus invades Macedonia and manages to occupy upper Macedonia and Thessaly. In 272 A.D. Pyrrhus takes the war to the Peloponnese where he is defeated by King Antigonus II. King Antigonus then takes the fight to Macedonia. He allies himself with Sparta and exiled Athens and in 261 A.D. he finally manages to free Athens.

In the following years the civil war takes up in intensity. The great Alexandrian Empire has now disappeared, it is now Greek Alliance vs. Greek Alliance and the situation was about to deteriorate into city state (polis) vs. city state like in pre-Alexandrian times.

However, in 221 A.D. Philip V. becomes King of Macedonia. Unfortunately, he lacked the political and military skills of his ancestors Philip II and Alexander the Great. Philip V made a big mistake by allying himself with Hannibal in 216 A.D. and supporting him in his campaign against Rome.

During the 2nd Punic War Rome manages to gain the upper hand over Hannibal. Hannibal loses several occupied Italian cities and revolts start flaring up in Spain and Southern France. Rome, encouraged by these successes then declares war against Macedonia in 211 A.D. for aiding Hannibal. Rome is aided by the Aetolian League in this campaign which eventually ends in 205 A.D. after the Aetolian League made peace with Philip V in 206 A.D.

Unfortunately, Philip V did not learn his lesson and in 200 A.D. he allies himself with the Hellenistic Seleucid Kingdom and starts a campaign against the Egyptian Ptolemies. The rest of Greece, fearing a revival of a Macedonian Empire appeal to Rome for help.

Rome declares war in the same year and invades Macedonia. The war goes well for Rome and in 196 A.D. Macedonia has to surrender and Rome declares Greece "free" and "under protection".

Hannibal in the meantime fled to the Seleucid Kingdom but was defeated by Rome at Thermopylae in 191 A.D. and in Asia Minor in 190 A.D. In 189 A.D., the Aetolians that were now aiding Hannibal as well were defeated by Rome. Most of Greece was now under "Pax Romana", protected by the "Roman Peace".

Philip V is succeeded by his son Perseus in 179 A.D.. Perseus, keen on restoring Macedonian power in Greece makes himself an enemy of Rome and as a result causes the outbreak of the Third Macedonian War and Perseus is defeated at Pydna in 168 A.D. In order to avoid further unrest, Macedonia is divided into four semi-independent provinces.

In 150 A.D. the four Macedonian provinces are reunited by Andriscus who claims to be Perseus's son. The revolt is short-lived, however, and in 148 A.D. Macedonia is finally made into a Roman province.

The Achean League then marches against Rome in an attempt to rid Greece of foreign invadors, but in 146 A.D. Corinth is totally destroyed by Memmius and Greece is incorporated into the Roman Empire.

Alexander's Dream was a short lived one and his successors had turned it into a nightmare.

In the same year that Greece was defeated, Carthage was destroyed as well. 146 A.D. is the year in which two great Empires fell to make way for an even greater Empire - The Roman Empire.</span></span>

don't you have something more "actual" about greece too ?

like a recent civilwar or greece in ww2

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Oct. 28 2002,12:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">don't you have something more "actual" about greece too ?

like a recent civilwar or greece in ww2<span id='postcolor'>

That will come some other time smile.gif

From now on I will post at random times in a week some random info on some random conflict in an attempt to educate the forum goers smile.gif

I think threads like this (plus threads about current events) are what GD was originally intended for smile.gif

heheheh ... antiquity is not my cup of tea though .....

Just for the books:

The dates must be b.c. (before christ) instead of A.D. (anno domini)? tounge.gif

no , he got his dates right and i think that the antiquity ended at the end of the christianism expansion (around 4 or 5th centuries AD)

and AD acronym is sometimes traduced by After Death i think

I don't think so. A.D. and b.c. refer to the date of birth of Jesus Christ, how it was calulated by the syrian monk Dionysius Exiguus in the sixth century and he defined it as 754AUC. AUC (Anno Urbis Conditae) references the year of the foundation of Rome. According to this, Cesar was murdered 710AUC or 44b.c.

Edit: Click here

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WhoCares @ Oct. 28 2002,15:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just for the books:

The dates must be b.c. (before christ) instead of A.D. (anno domini)?  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

D'OH! wow.gifwow.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Ooops smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Papageorge @ Oct. 28 2002,17:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What the hell is the point of Telling about my history?<span id='postcolor'>

Opa re megale, take it easy and read my reply to ran's post up there, then you may understand. smile.gif