Sign in to follow this  
clay_more

Model offset

Hi, ive had this issue multiple times already where the model is incorrectly placed in the soldiers hands or the holster despite me making sure its origin is pretty much in center.

obj builder:

tw1CHDG.png

and ingame

aBdeIur.png

it was suggested that it might be caused by the geo lod, but that one also has the pivot in the same spot. any idea what else that might be caused by ?

it isn't positioned correctly in relation to the handanimation weapon bone. adjust the mesh model based on the weapon proxy. (the center needs to be someplace between trigger guard and handle. For pistols, the mesh is slightly offset when you watch it from the top (z axis).

Check samples.

• Like 1

i buddy of mine suggested this might be a dangerous thing to do if you want to use the weapon for other proxies. is there another way to do this ?

your buddy is speaking out of his ass..

this is the glock i made for RHS, no issues with proxies, since you are the one who is setting up their position, not your buddy, not auto

http://i.imgur.com/An3z0DE.png?1

• Like 2

did exactly what you suggested, and its spot on. the guns a bit chubby so it clips with the thumbs. will this still look right if i made something like, say a custom anim where he dual wields them ? or shoots it single handedly ? im also having an issue with normals and especially the specular map showing artifacts or no t picking up detail. i heard its the mipmapping when the tga is imported do you know how to make it look as great as the guns you guys make and prevent detail loss ?

thanks for your help again.

1. it shouldn't really clip at all, the pistol grips seems decent in terms of size
2. dual wielding is not possible afaik
3. custom anim for single handedly is possible
4. artefacts are either from poor normal bakes/ smdi (spec&gloss) setup or from file compression. If you have the texture naming conversion set correctly and your tgas are without compression (not a file that was previously jpg, bmp etc and then converted to TGA) there should be no detail loss. Let O2 convert these TGAs for you.

clipping will happen with this weapon model, because the grip and trigger are not properly sized, ergonomically speaking. I know this, because i modelled this particular weapon as well. Without resizing the "original design" it will always clip somewhat. Same holds true for all other weapons from that setting.

i did some testing, and the lighting issues seem to be with the model. i use blender for modeling, exporting it as obj or fbx still gives me the same lighting issues, even when using triangulate and recalculate normals ( recalculate makes things even worse).

the textures themselves shouldnt be affected as the show up correctly in other programs ( no artefacts, no funny lighting).

edit: i got the lighting sorted, all i needed to do is mark the edges i wanted as sharp to mark them sharp and export it. only have to improve the specular and gloss details now and its done.