Sign in to follow this  
Mirek

Please check whats wrong with my Rifle model.

Hi I tried to upgrade one of the ACR_DLC Weapons by adding an ACOG sight to it. Problem is, when i make an Addon using this model, game cannot read the p3d file for some reason. Can any skilled Arma modder check whats wrong with it?

Model link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4zH9uTqIwylTmxMbDVkV3IxTXM/view?usp=sharing

The p3d seems to be fine. I tried it with a quick simple config.

iaG83PN.jpg

Thanks Sir, Ill check the config then.

Ok i had an mistake in config.cpp  i dont understand config.cpp a bit to be honest. But now it works, except the backup sights doesnt work for me, the model is litle bit glassy in game and a friend who i made the model for, says that he gets folowing error in RPT when he uses this model in his mod.

Warning: corepatch_cz805_a1_acog\cz_805_a1_acog.p3d:0 Face 3049, point 3745, face points 3745,3710,3659 - very small normal 0,0,0
Warning: corepatch_cz805_a1_acog\cz_805_a1_acog.p3d:0 Face 4572, point 4424, face points 4424,4423,4452 - very small normal 0,0,0
Warning: corepatch_cz805_a1_acog\cz_805_a1_acog.p3d:1, vertex: 4123, sum of weights is 200, should be 100
Warning: corepatch_cz805_a1_acog\cz_805_a1_acog.p3d:1, vertex: 4123, sum of weights is 200, should be 100
Warning: corepatch_cz805_a1_acog\cz_805_a1_acog.p3d:1, vertex: 4124, sum of weights is 200, should be 100
Warning: corepatch_cz805_a1_acog\cz_805_a1_acog.p3d:1, vertex: 4124, sum of weights is 200, should be 100
Warning: corepatch_cz805_a1_acog\cz_805_a1_acog.p3d:1, vertex: 4125, sum of weights is 200, should be 100
Warning: corepatch_cz805_a1_acog\cz_805_a1_acog.p3d:1, vertex: 4125, sum of weights is 200, should be 100

I have no idea what that error means. 

Could anyone tell me how to fix it?

Edited by mirek

Ok. I haven't spent much time working with A2 recently, so my memory's a bit rusty.

The rpt log is giving you warnings about potential problems. Rather than listing game-breaking errors. I've seen one or two threads about them and most people usually ignore them until there's an actual problem. If you haven't done so already, binarising the addon might help get rid of the warnings. Although it won't clean up the source of it. doing that manually would be......Tedious.

I didn't find any degenerate faces or loose verts that might account for problems. There may be points sharing the same 3d space. But I don't see them. Section count looks ok too.

If the model is otherwise displaying correctly and functioning, then I would do as others have done. Don't waste time worrying about it.

As for the sight. Did you add a single sided plane since the previous upload? Did you follow naming conventions for the alpha texture?

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Texture_Naming_Rules

Excessive glossiness:

Assuming you aren't using a dedicated specular map the basic settings in the rvmat, would be used. Try adjusting those. You don't need to be able to save the P3d to view your maps in O2. Rvmats can be edited as separate files.

Ok thanks for explanation.

As for the sights, I didnt add anything. My knowledge of OXYGEN 2 is too limited. I didnt model the rifle or the scope, i just took existing rifle and existing scope, and put them together. I tried to make my own models but only modeling software iam efectively able to use is Autodesk Inventor, or Wings 3D, and Oxygen 2 has problems accepting files exported from those two for some reason, or i just dont know how to import them properly.

If i may take more of your time, could you explain to me how do i binarize the model to get rid of the RPT spam?

Using BinPBO. The packing utility provided in the official tool set. There's a small checkbox on the frontend of the UI. Just check "Binarize" when packing your addon. 

Sorry to hear O2's giving you so much hassle. Have you tried re-installing the tools? :)

Ah thanks, iam using binPBO to create the PBOs but i didnt notice the "binarize" box.

I still have the problem that i cannot see trough the backup sight on acog on this rifle. What could cause it?

In the view pilot the holo-sight has a single sided plane.Using this texture:

"eotechholo_ca.tga"

This is a texture with alpha transparency, as indicated by the _ca suffix.

If the texture is not being converted properly from tga to paa then it may show as 

a flat, opaque colour.

For the sake of it, try converting the texture to paa yourself, using Texview2, and apply it to the correct faces.

• Like 1

OK thanks ill try.

I don't have the weapone pack on my P: drive . I assume because of the flat colour the texture gives the glass a green tint. But the the actual red dot in view pilot is a physical mesh. If it came down to it you could remove the faces with that texture. So at the very least it should function as a sight. :)

Ok i failed to find that  eotechholo_ca.tga anywhere so i made my own texture Sight.paa i save it to the same directory as the model and all the .cpp files, i aply it on the plane in "Wiev pilot" LOD in the model, i save the model, i Binpbo the folder, start game try it, and the sight is stil not seetrough. and i have message cannot load texture sight.paa.

What to do?

Here is the unbinarized folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4zH9uTqIwylYVdib0FPbHh4dW8&usp=sharing

Looks like not only the sight but also the magazine has transparency issue (botom one is original BIS cz805a1 with ZD-DOT sight, upper is my edit with ACOG)

F00731559F5E10EBEF431B320AFFE25655062349