JoeyT700

Textures Disappearing? HELP!!

Okay, bear with me I'm new to all this.

First off I have received permission from an author to edit his equipment mod, mostly I just want to tweak armor values and carrying capacity of vests helmets and bags to get them closer to the vanilla values.
So I stumbled my way through it using PBOmanager v.1.4Beta to Extract PBO, arma tools to change config BIN to CPP, and edit armor values with Dash SQF editor, everything seems fine.

change  CPP back to BIN repack into PBO using File bank in arma tools, place all in my addon folder, and start game....

ALL CUSTOM TEXTURES GONE. The equipment names and such show in arsenal and I can equip them but they are invisible. I'm at a loss, I don't understand why all the textures are being lost when all I'm changing is the armor rating. Hopefully someone out there is shaking his head right now laughing and saying "look at this guy" and willing to help.
The custom equipment that uses vanilla textures work great and are still in game. I can change the values all I want no problem. anyways ANY help would be greatly appreciated, if you need any additional info please just ask.

Example: 3C1F3E76913D5E96C3A1356C1F0F18EA5066E781

Sounds to me, like you changed not only config values, but also the name of the PBO. Texture paths in the model always refer to the name of the PBO they're in. If that changes, the game won't find the custom textures, only the factory BIS textures. But in that case you should be getting error messages. Have you checked your RPT? And parts of the model should be white instead of transparent.

I'd suggest looking for error messages first. If there's nothing, unpack the addon and try to trace the problem by checking texture paths, and the textures themselves (that they exist, and look ok in TexView).

First of all, thank you for your response I was starting to think that no one was going to even try to help me. I'm sure I haven't renamed anything, the textures work great in the original (I checked in texview to be sure), the paths look correct.
sadly I haven't made any progress even with tons of attempts. Can I ask what programs you prefer for this kind of project? and would you happen to know of a good tutorial? like I said before this is all pretty new to me and at this point I'm sure it's 100% operator error. 

Hey man check out my GitHub (click on my sig below) and look in the tools folder. I have created a few templates detailing a solid way to setup a mod folder and paths to make sure everything works correctly. If you need anything specific just PM me. Specifically check this one out https://github.com/Ma77h3hac83r/OPXT/blob/master/Tools/Files/mod%20folder%20structure%20template

I'm finding it hard to believe, that the textures won't load, yet you don't get error messages. Please check your RPT, see if there are any.

The programs you listed are fine, they should work. What you're doing is a simple config tweak from what i understand.

Another thing you could do is, instead of opening up the addon and modifying the config.cpp inside it (and somehow managing to mess the original addon up), you could just leave it intact, and patch it from the outside. Make a PBO containing nothing but a config.cpp, and in it reference the addon you wish to modify, then make your changes.

If you lack the experience to troubleshoot your addon, consider uploading it somewhere (perhaps a simplified version of it). Some kind soul might find the time to look at it for you. It's much easier that way, rather than trying to guess what's wrong in the dark.

this is the error I'm getting, I am starting to wonder if maybe I'm making the pack wrong, DEFINITELY doing the pack back into PBO wrong
today I just extracted the PBO, changed the Config BIN over to CPP, changed absolutely nothing, turned that same CPP back into BIN and packed all the files back into a PBO and ended up with the same results.
Now my ignorance has been shown, Can you guys break this all down Barney style?
DD16783FF9A6F0B09D8F5159385CF2C1016976D5

404. File not found. The path to those textures are invalid. Your PBO should be called "tfa_gear.pbo" and not something else. In it, there should be a folder called "data", inside it one called "textures", and all the custom textures should be in "textures" (e.g. "tfa_c_nwu3_tiger.paa"). My guess is you changed the name of the PBO from "tfa_gear.pbo" to something else, like "tfa_gear_modification.pbo", or "tfa_gear_Joey.pbo" - in order to differentiate it from the original addon - thus breaking the texture paths. Or, when packing, some of the folders/files got left out/moved, and they do not exist in your final PBO, for some reason or another.

I have received permission from an author to edit his equipment mod

If you received permission to edit it, then he has given you the unbinarized models, correct?

I just want to tweak armor values and carrying capacity of vests helmets and bags to get them closer to the vanilla values.

Then create another ".pbo" containing a "config.cpp" with a new class, inheriting the class you want to modify, and insert the code you want to modify. (You can look at BI's default values by looking in the config viewer)

Renaming the original ".pbo" will affect the model path and its texture directories, causing it to disappear in-game. (You cannot see the textures defined in the config, but in the binarized model)

The same goes with textures, use "HiddenSelectionTextures" to implement your custom texture. (google it)

Lastly, regarding the process of packing your addon, it is too complicated. All you need to do to pack an addon is use Addon Builder, as well as using extractPBO to unpack it.