Sign in to follow this  
outlawled

Lost Private .bikey

I reinstalled Windows a few months ago and forgot to back up my private .bikey file, so I need to make a new one.

My question is, should I use the same name as I did for the last one ("outlw") and inform server admins to delete the old server keys, or should I use a new name like "outlw2015" or something?

Would have been better to post this in the editing forum.

Anyway, I believe if it is named the same it still WILL NOT work and will not be backwards compatible with your older signed files. As such, it doesn't really matter what you name it. You can either name it the same, and then re-sign all your older PBOs with the new key (and have server admins replace their existing key with the new public one DSSign creates), or name it differently and use it to only create new files (or again, re-issue your older files signed under the new key). Whichever you decide, there are pros and cons to both, I guess it just depends on how much hassle you want to go through and whether you care enough about all your releases being signed under the same key (or not).

Would have been better to post this in the editing forum.

Anyway, I believe if it is named the same it still WILL NOT work and will not be backwards compatible with your older signed files. As such, it doesn't really matter what you name it. You can either name it the same, and then re-sign all your older PBOs with the new key (and have server admins replace their existing key with the new public one DSSign creates), or name it differently and use it to only create new files (or again, re-issue your older files signed under the new key). Whichever you decide, there are pros and cons to both, I guess it just depends on how much hassle you want to go through and whether you care enough about all your releases being signed under the same key (or not).

Yep. Wrong forum. My bad.

Thanks for the response, though. And yeah, I'm not worried about hassle, I just dunno what I'm supposed to do here. I feel like it'd be a bad thing for there to be two keys with the same name floating around? Might lead to confusion?

Would it be okay if each of my addons had its own key? Is that something that would annoy server admins?

To be honest, my opinion would lean towards keeping all existing projects as they are (and if you update them in the future sign them with a new key - perhaps 'outlw2' or some-such). Any future (new) projects would also be signed with the 'outlw2' key as well. I think you're right that a key-per-addon would just annoy admins with have 5 or 6 keys (or more) for one author. All this is just what I would personally do, at the end of the day I don't think there is a set-in-stone plan to follow in this situation, its just about what you are comfortable with doing.