Sign in to follow this  
KDog35

Parachuting at a higher altitude...

Hi,

I'm just learning how to get men out of the chopper but I have some questions:

1. After unassigning each man that eject's from the chopper, how do you create "new" waypoints for them to follow? I should be able to start with another waypoint with the Officer...right?

2. Can I change to a higher altitude of the chopper so the men won't die? I've lengthened the waypoints they eject from but that doesn't seem to help.

3. Is there maybe an easier way to make a group of enemy men eject from a M17? Or do you have to do it the same way with both sides?

I'm trying to find the easiest way to do this without all the scripting in each soldier.

Thanks for the help, KDog smile.gif

for number 2, use

flyInHeight command.

helo1 flyInHeight 80

helo1 is helo name, 80 is height.

Thanks Ralph,

And can someone answer question #1? I need waypoints for the soldiers after ejecting.

Also, is there another scripting guide out there that's easier to read. I downloaded and took a look at the one I got off this forum but it looks confusing. Is there one that goes by topic? Any links would be great! Thanks smile.gif

waypoints.... heck just make a trigger for each unit in the group.. say you have 12 units in your group.. you will need 12 triggers... telling each individual unit to eject... smile.gif Make sure you space them out.. or the units will eject at the same time and cause accidents!!

It would be nice if there was a way to manually activate chutes thru an action, so you could freefall first.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">how do you create "new" waypoints for them to follow<span id='postcolor'>

To create a place to go for a squad that doesnt have any waypoints, i generally use something like this

I have my squad , for the example, i call it TEAM by naming the officer TEAM , or in the officer init string by typing

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">TEAM=group this<span id='postcolor'>

Then i create a Game Logic , i put it at the place i want the waypoint-less squad to go , i edit its properties and name it for the example GOTHERE.

Instead of a Game Logic (i use it there because they are not visible ingame) you can use a specific unit (soldier, armor etc....).

Then in a trigger (condition what you want, it depends of the situation of your mission) , at the line On Activation , i place this

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">"_x domove getpos GOTHERE" foreach units TEAM<span id='postcolor'>

After the activation of the trigger, the entire TEAM squad will move to the place where the Game Logic GOTHERE is.

I hope it helps

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ Oct. 10 2002,09:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It would be nice if there was a way to manually activate chutes thru an action, so you could freefall first.<span id='postcolor'>

Make your own script which you can trigger from the action menu. A simple way is to make another "Eject" menu item which makes you unassign yourself from the aircraft so you begin to freefall. Make another "Deploy chute" item in the action menu which will camcreate a chopper to the player's position, assign you as cargo and eject you rightaway. Camdestroy the chopper and it'll all happen so fast you never knew there was a chopper teleported there in the first place.

The effect of this is that you'll freewall and deploy the chute whenever you want to.

There's a manual halo i use for these instances, written by schism. 2 scripts are called:

; HALOChute.sqs

; By Schism

; Wake up, enemy territory coming...

DUDE SetBehaviour "AWARE"

; Move the chopper to the unit

HELO SetPos GetPos DUDE

; Move the unit into the chopper

DUDE moveincargo HELO

; Then make him eject

DUDE action ["EJECT", HELO]

; Unassign the unit

unassignvehicle DUDE

; Put the chopper out of the way

HELO setpos [500, 500, 0]

; And remove the chute deploy action.

DUDE RemoveAction 0

exit

; HALOInit.sqs

; By Schism

; Which unit is it?

_unit = _this select 0

; How high are they to start?

_height = _this select 1

; Fling them up there...

_unit setpos [GetPos _unit select 0, GetPos _unit select 1, _height]

exit

His readme stated the following:

Manual HALO

By Schism

1. What is a HALO?

HALO means High Altitude Low Opening (parachute jump). Basically, you leap out in the stratosphere and freefall, deploying your chute at the last possible moment. This method should give the enemy zero warning of a soldier's arrival.

In real-life, HALO would be conducted from a C130 Combat Talon or similar aircraft, but this is currently outside the scope of Operation Flashpoint. We must make do, therefore, with starting the mission during descent. You could add custom radio messages with the imaginary C130 to improve realism.

Using manual HALO requires two scripts - HALOInit and HALOChute. Both are fully commented, I only ask that you keep my name on it somewhere if you intend to use it.

HALOInit takes two arguments - unit and height. So, [Player,1000] exec "HALOInit.sqs" would place unit Player one thousand meters above his start position.

HALOChute takes no arguments - because it is called through a custom action. (This prohibits passing parameters.) Therefore, it is necessary to set up a trigger as follows: Condition "TRUE, On Activation "DUDE = <name>; HELO = <name>". These global variables tell the HALOChute script which units are involved in the jump. (Change <name>'s to whichever units are relevant - Player and Chopper, for example).

The astute among you will realise this prohibits multiple, simultaneous HALO jumps. However, if you wish to undertake a multiple HALO mission, you can probably figure out how to tailor the scripts specifically. If not, mail me here: 'David@allmac.force9.co.uk' and I will do my best to sort you out.

The HALO unit needs the following in its INIT box:

this SetBehaviour "SAFE" - Gun on back looks much better.

[this,1000] exec "HALOInit.sqs" - Take to the skies

this AddAction ["Deploy Chute","HALOChute.sqs"] - Add the custom action command.

To summarise in its completeness:

A helicopter somewhere, named whatever you want.

The player unit, (roughly) where you want him to land. In the INIT box:

this SetBehaviour "SAFE"; [this,<height>] exec "HALOInit.sqs"; this AddAction ["Deploy Chute","HALOChute.sqs"]

And a trigger with Condition TRUE, and On Activation "DUDE = <unitname>; HELO = <choppername>"

Replace <whatever> with the appropriate names/values.

So, the player freefalls until he selects the Deploy Chute action, at which point his chute will... deploy! The custom action is then removed from sight, as you'd expect.

Take your Black Ops insertions to new levels of reality!

So, until the RandomChuteFailure script...

Have fun,

Schism.

"Boldy going where no scripter has gone before..."

Im not sure where i got this scripts, but 95% chance i got it from edeting centre. It also got some automated halo scripts ofcourse =)

Hope this helps

Damn it. And I made exactly that kind of a script myself without knowing that someone already made it mad.gif

That's a lot of info, lol. I'm still sort of a beginner and was hoping of an easier way.

For a beginning waypoint for the group, is there something I can type in the int. field for the soldiers to run to, instead of using Game Logic (I've never used it)??

Also thanks again for the script for changing the Altitude for choppers, it's kinda cool seeing them jump out way up there.

smile.gif

Ok, I played around with Game Logic. Too bad you can't put a "join" on that, then I could maybe solve the problem of giving a group a waypoint.

If someone could let me know if there's an easy way to do this, I would be one happy camper. smile.gif

for join, here's the script way(you can have this activated if certain trigger condition is met).

[soldat1,soldat2,soldat3,soldat4,soldat5] join bigDaddy

this will make soldat1 and the others join under soldier named 'bigDaddy'

please check command reference for proper syntax. i think i might have made some boo boo on the code above.

Ok, cool, I got that to work; thanks. But what is the script for "join and lead" instead of just "join"?

Also, can somebody post a link here for the command ref. guide. so I don't have to ask about scripts---

And I was still wondering, is there another way of creating a waypoint for a group that doesn't have one (like a group that just parachuted out of a chopper)? I don't want to have to always rely on a vehicle to create a waypoint for a group in this type of mission.

smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KDog35 @ Oct. 11 2002,16:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also, can somebody post a link here for the command ref. guide. so I don't have to ask about scripts---<span id='postcolor'>

it's on this site, under editing menu.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But what is the script for "join and lead" instead of just "join"?<span id='postcolor'>

The leader is set after the rank of the soldier in the group. Higher ranked soldier = leader. (pretty logic, as no pne has ever seen a private commanding a captain biggrin.gif)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And I was still wondering, is there another way of creating a waypoint for a group that doesn't have one (like a group that just parachuted out of a chopper)? <span id='postcolor'>

Why don't you para group has any Waypoint?

There is no problem giving WP to a group in a chopper. They will follow their WP once they are not in vehicle anymor.

So create your group, give them their normal waypoint (forget any WP near landing zone, built WPs as if the group starte at landing zone), put them in chopper, give the chopper its own WPs, and set up the paradrop by script (given above in the thread).

Your troops will begin in the chopper, the leader will ask to move to "ed56", but they can't, as they are in chopper. They come above landing zone, script is activated, they jump and land. From there, they will start to move to their first WP, at "ed56".

If you really need top create WP "on the fly", the best way is to use the "move" command :

grp move pos

It creates a temporary MOVE WP for the group grp, at position pos. Once the group has reached this WP, they proceed to their next normal WP, if any.

To determine the pos, either, as said before, use LOGIC, either invisible H (found under units->Empty->objects->H (invisible) in the unit type list (F1)). get the position with the getPos command.

Eg, put an invisible H, or a LOGIC, named firstPos, at the point where you want your group grp1 to go, and use the following command :

grp1 move getPos firstPos

to create a temporary WP for group grp1 at the position of firstPos. They will just go there, using their current speed (slpow/normal/full), combatMode (green/blue/white/yellow/red) and behaviour (careless/safe/aware/combat/stealth). To alter this, use the setSpeedMode, setCombatMode and setBehaviour command just after you issued the move command. That's a bit like creating a WP in the editor w/ all its parameters, but in a script.

Whis'

I've got to be the stupidest person here on this forum!

To do what I wanted, all I needed was a "move" then "get in" waypoint first for the group and a "move" for the chopper and that's it; and sync the "get in" and "move" from the chopper. ----ahhhh stupid.

Any wooo, those code snippets seem pretty interesting that Dagobooom mentioned. I downloaded the manual one but you mentioned an automated one, is that an easier one to use?

Thanks for all the replys on this topic, KDog-