Sign in to follow this  
guy123

Tank Physx issues - Invasion1944

Ok so at Invasion1944 we're getting a little stuck with our tank Physx.

Essentially our tanks keep randomly increasing speed in tight turns, and most noticeably accelerate way too much when driving downhill (To the point that any small bump will send them airborne).

The mod isn't releasable in this state so we're asking if anyone here has some idea what is causing this, or any better documentation than that which exists on the biWiki. We've followed RedPhoenix's excellent tutorial as well as any documentation we can find on the net and still no luck.

Look forward to your replies.

Guy

Invasion1944

Here is our current physX config: http://pastebin.com/FNCFhs6K

if you have problems with acceleration you need to increase dampingInAir for the wheels, or reduce MOI. Those 2 values play hand in hand - if MOI is too large in relation to dampingInAir, your tank can accelerate to infinity basically.

Since BI never disclosed what dampingInAir does exactly, you can only try until it fits... unfortunately.

Thanks X3KJ,

I've been balancing those two today and I'm getting somewhere, however:

One of the main issues I've got is that the tank will be fine, until you go down a slight depression, at which point it will snap turn to the right/left. It is very uncomfortable and unexplainable... Any ideas? could it be a geometry issue?

Guy

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

I'm pleased to say I think I've cracked it (finally, I've literally spent months on and off fighting with this).

So, I was using high numbers for MOI and therefore dampingInAir. The problem with this was that because of the high MOI the wheels were developing a LOT of momentum and occasionally this was transferred into a turn etc. and caused the vehicle to wig out.

This has been fixed (just about) by going right down to very LOW numbers (it is a Stuart tank so very light compared to a normal MBT). For example I now have an MOI of 5.5 and a dampingInAir of 900. This provides pleasing results although now I'm tryiong to figure out how to get the darn tank to move out of first gear. It currently just revs like mad! (any ideas?)