Sign in to follow this  
memphisbelle

Hightfield not beeing used by Terrain builder

Hey there,

I searched around a lot in the forums for the question why the heck my hightfileds are not shown up or even are beeing used in Terrain Builder.

If I import an Hightfield it is not shown in the scene view Window, it is but existing in the layers window. Even if I set the respective

coordinates and zoom all the way out I can see only an edge that does not corrospond to an actualy square map (See screenshot in the spoiler below).

If I am going further and import the Sat Map and load up all this in Buldozer, so I got my world..yes, with Textures, SatMap, everythings...but its flat...there is no hightfield beeing used

and it rests under a few feet of water.

Now I wonder whether it has somethings to do with a messed up Terrain Builder or is there an other issue that is causing this?

I would follow any Tutorial...but I cant find any good Terrain Builder specified Tutorials anymore in the Forums...the ressources I knew so far are either outdated (Visitor 3) or

have been deleted or are not available anymore for any other reasons. (I do know about the Visitor 4 Tutorial that still does exist...but it also doesnt answer my question)

So if anyone could help me in both matters (may be knowing what went wrong with my Hightfield issue and may be point me to good tutorials I havent found yet...if they exist)

So, I´d be very thankfull.

regards

Memphis

397b8a9cef.png

Try pressing the button which puts your view on top of the selected layer. It's the one with the 4 orange triangles under your heightmap.xyz

Try pressing the button which puts your view on top of the selected layer. It's the one with the 4 orange triangles under your heightmap.xyz

hey there,

I did already and it doesnt show up the hightfield. If I import the Sat and the Mak map, so this button shows them up...but it doesnt apply for the heightfield...its simply not there

I'm at work so I can't verify it but you appear to have Geo-location data in your heightmap.xyz. The WGS84 coordinates aren't supposed to be there.

If you are exporting from L3DT, click Options on the Export layer window when you're exporting the heightmap. You can set a GeoRef-setting to false there.

I'm at work so I can't verify it but you appear to have Geo-location data in your heightmap.xyz. The WGS84 coordinates aren't supposed to be there.

If you are exporting from L3DT, click Options on the Export layer window when you're exporting the heightmap. You can set a GeoRef-setting to false there.

Hey there and yes, I am using L3DT. As of this I have also exported the heightfield.xyz from L3DT. I will try what you´ve suggested.

I also tried another shot and at least made it happen to show up the heightfield in the Scene View Window. It now shows up in Terrain Builder but not yet in Buldozer (as it still rests under water).

The surface is covered with the Texture again, so this works out. For the Rest I try what you´ve suggested.

Edit:

by the way...is it important to specify a certain UTM selection in the very first step?

Usually it is set to 31 (0E - 6E) Subzone N (whatever this means)

/Edit

Screenshots:

The Buldozer View compared to the Position on the heightmap.

and the same place but just under water, with Textures beeing painted on the Surface

Edited by MemphisBelle

Ah, looks like the "Build Terrain" didn't work.

Or did you forget that? :D

I have pressed on that "rebuilt terrrain" button. From the Heightfield Layer I pressed on "refresh content from source" and TB asked then for the source file to be used and thus I pointed TB to my .xyz file....the result can be seen in the screenshots above

by the way...is it important to specify a certain UTM selection in the very first step?

Usually it is set to 31 (0E - 6E) Subzone N (whatever this means)

There is no sense in messing with it since you specify the Lat - Lng coordinates in your config.cpp of your terrain and in order to have working roads, you need the 200.000 - 0 coordinates.

Could you post a screenshot of your project as it is in TB right now?

If the 'Rebuild terrain' went correctly, you should see a 'second' heightmap in the layers section on the righthand side, it's usually slightly indented.

Also, hit OK after you've clicked the Rebuild Terrain button before trying to generate layers. And after you've clicked the Rebuild Terrain button, do NOT 'refresh content from source', that will probably remove the terrain TB rebuilt from your height-data at which point you'd have to Rebuild Terrain again :) You would use the 'refresh content from source' if you've made alterations to the terrain outside of TB.

@BadLuckBurt

your tips somehow helped to figure what I made wrong. It really seemed somethings to do with the rebuilt Terrain Function. Although...and to be honest...I do not yet exactly know what I made wrong. At least it works now, I got my 3d Map in Terrain Builder and Buldozer.

I nonetheless have added 3 Screenshots of the Project...ahhh...before I forget, I also followed this Tutorial.

My Project using an early SatMap created in L3DT...it´s actually an old project since I have started the first work of this Island back in 2013.

http://puu.sh/f6wIj/b3b29388e8.jpg

The hightfield works great now, it needs but lots of improvements yet.

http://puu.sh/f6xT5/156fdd5f4f.jpg

And the Buldozer view...the Original Island is actually an 4096 sized Project...I have resized it to 2048 just for testing Purposes.

http://puu.sh/f6wKV/4585821292.jpg

Good to hear :)

I'm pretty sure that what happened was:

You imported the terrain for the first time

You rebuilt the terrain on the Samplers tab (and generated sat and mask tiles probably)

Then you refresh the terrain data from source and never rebuilt it.

But if it works, it works :yay:

Did you make the islands yourself or are they real-life ones? Anyway, they do look like they would offer some cool invasion-type gameplay :)

Good to hear :)

I'm pretty sure that what happened was:

You imported the terrain for the first time

You rebuilt the terrain on the Samplers tab (and generated sat and mask tiles probably)

Then you refresh the terrain data from source and never rebuilt it.

But if it works, it works :yay:

Did you make the islands yourself or are they real-life ones? Anyway, they do look like they would offer some cool invasion-type gameplay :)

Thanks for the tips, I´ll remember them.

The Island building process was selfmade (so to speak by hand) but the Island I have had as model was rook island from Far Cry 3....ok...the basic shape is similar the Mesh is obviously not the same, as this is not possible.

I also didnt want to get in any Copyright issues with Ubisoft :D

Never played Farcry, probably should sometime, the YT videos always look fun. Does that mean it's going to be a tropical island or is that the wrong Farcry? :D

To be honest...I never thought that far. I was actually happy to at least have the rough shape of the two Islands been done in L3DT. I have made a long break as it has originally been an ArmA2OA Project for Visitor 3. My common ArmA activity is pretty less at the moment. So all I´d like to do is to have somethings to play around with from time to time. So I consider this as an constantly ongoing project where I dont know whether it will ever be finished.