5 resolution lods but what values?

I have the following resolution LODs

1. 2500+ (will get to 3000)

2. 2100

3. 1000

4. 300

5. 100

What should the resolution values be?

Atm They are 1, 2.5, 4.5, 6.7 and 10 - is this suitable or should I use different ones. It looks OK on my machine but that might just be my machine and I haven't really run it in a heavy model environment yet. ie on Everon but not during the Battle of Kursk.

edit

oh the sub-titile should be SdKpf 234/2 Puma.

/edit

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (scousejedi @ Sep. 27 2002,23:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have the following resolution LODs

1. 2500+ (will get to 3000)

2. 2100

3. 1000

4. 300

5. 100

What should the resolution values be?

Atm They are 1, 2.5, 4.5, 6.7 and 10 - is this suitable or should I use different ones. It looks OK on my machine but that might just be my machine and I haven't really run it in a heavy model environment yet. ie on Everon but not during the Battle of Kursk.

edit

oh the sub-titile should be SdKpf 234/2 Puma.

/edit<span id='postcolor'>

I really don't know, but I thought guessing wouldn't be good enough, so used some basic math.

What I did:

Open a comparable model. In my case, I was creating an assault rifle, so I opened up the original M16.

Then, I noted the number of faces per LOD, the number of vertices per LOD and the resolution of each LOD.

Then:

- I multiplied the number of vertices and faces for each LOD.

- I multiplied the previous factor for each LOD with the resolution. This is was my "LOD constant"

Then, I opened up my own

model and noted down the vertices and faces again, for each LOD.

- Again I calculated the factor (by multiplying) of vertices and faces

- Then I divided the numbers by the referring "LOD constant" values I found in my M16 calculations

This gave me an estimate.

... but I wasn't really satisfied with it. So I calculated the average of the original M16 LOD resolution and LOD resolutions I calculated for my own model.

Still wasn't really satisfied, so I guesstimated the last bit.

Can't follow? I don't blame you! biggrin.gif

It's quick and dirty, but if you want a copy of my number-juggling trick, you can download my Excel97 sheet from:

http://www.korpsmariniers.com/download/lodres-calc.xls

Right click & save as, to copy it to your system. It contains no macro's, so you can disable them if you want.

Note1:

Keep in mind that any LOD under about 0.2 will not be used if the player sets the Level of Detail preferences to the lowest value.

Note2:

Also, my guess is that the lowest LOD shuoldn't have to be a higher number than 9. If you take higher resolution numbers than you calculates, the game will speed up. Take lower numbers than calculated, the game will slow down (will use more CPU time).