Sign in to follow this  
jonesy_d

New to Arma 3

Hello Everyone:

Well, I am new to Arma 3 and a friend who had told me about told me big things coming this way with it, and boy was not disappointed..sorry to say after seeing and playing some missions I am about to delete my BF3..its like an acade game now...no thrill in it anymore..

Now to what I need to know here now..I have done some scripting with the game " Flashpoint ", so what I would like to know is what script language is use for Arma scripting and where to I place the script files so they can be activate in game..also once I've made a new mission where do I go to see this on my computer..

Sorry if this sounds odd, but sometimes our minds just go blank..many thanks to all who help..

Double_Time

P.S. anyone who wishes to add advise or some tutorial help would be nice..I've signed up for some course on scripting..

Cheers..:)

You need to create and save your mission in editor - you will get mission folder that way inside Documents/Arma 3/MPMissions or Missions. In this folder you place your own scripts like init.sqf or briefing.sqf etc.

You need to create and save your mission in editor - you will get mission folder that way inside Documents/Arma 3/MPMissions or Missions. In this folder you place your own scripts like init.sqf or briefing.sqf etc.

Thanks this is a good start...cheers..

so what I would like to know is what script language is use for Arma scripting

Hi Double_Time you can see info about the scripting here:

This is a scripting guide (arma2):

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9220&highlight=ICE%2BGUI

here is a thread that lists many scripting, editing, configs, related information that can help you:

Mission Editing and Scripting Information

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?78089-Mission-Editing-and-Scripting-Information-Links-only-NO-Discussion

where to I place the script files so they can be activate in game

It all depends on the setup of the script, but all scripts go into the mission folder itself for the mission you have built or are building that is for the editor.

let me give you some info for tutorials I had created in the past, that may help you:

How to import SP/MP Missions into the editor

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?126057-Is-there-a-way-to-import-single-player-missions-to-my-editor&p=2039105#post2039105

This tutorial explains how to import missions you downloaded into the game editor, this is mostly for Arma2 and arma2Co but the same methods also apply to Arma3

as well, just the folder paths for where the editor folders and the directory have changed.

Also in the tutorial if you go down further in it you will see starting here:

Editing existing missions and saving them

what you need to know in order is:

1. locate your editor folders

(i suggest editing in the sp editor as its faster and does the same thing as the mp does, except testing wise in mp

allows you to respawn among other things, so it depends what you want to do but you will need to check if a script you want to use is is mp capable if you want that option.)

Editor folder paths for Arma3:

Singleplayer usermissions

C:\Users\username\Documents\Arma 3\missions

When you save a mission in the editor for sp as a usermission, a folder with the name of your mission, and the map its on gets saved here

so lets say your mission name is Assault and its on Altis, the mission folder will look like this in the directory:

Assault.Altis

same goes for the mp below.

Multiplayer usermissions

C:\Users\username\Documents\Arma 3\mpmissions

Mission folder and mission.sqm

In the mission folder you will find a script file, it will be named mission.sqm

this name is the output name for every mission you make, it wont be any other name, Do Not rename it or your mission wont work!

For placing scripts, you will put the script file in the mission folder itself alongside the mission.sqm.

===============

Thats basically a rough idea of how it works.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, I just read abit and very helpful..when I get time I will go over again just to understand it more..I just walked in the door was called into work for an emergency..if you don't mind I like to call upon you once and awhile for some info one some scripting..many thanks..