Sign in to follow this  
nullsys

BIS_fnc_findSafePos is driving me insane, please help!

Expected:

To find a location, between 2000 & 5000 meters, relatively flat, on land and with 1 meter of space around it.

Create a device, place the device and the player in that location for testing purposes.

Reality:

This works 100% of the time via Debug and "Local Exec" while in game.

This works maybe 3/4 times through SQF.

All tested locally through the editor.

sndObjects = ["Land_Device_disassembled_F","Land_Device_assembled_F"];
sndObject = sndObjects call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;
_pos = [getpos player,2000,5000,1,0,0.7,0,[],[(getpos player),(getpos player)]] call BIS_fnc_findSafePos;
hint str _pos;
sndChecker = sndObject createVehicle _pos;
player setpos _pos;

Can someone please explain why this works every time through the debug scripting, but not every time in SQF scripts?

What is "wrong" the 1/4 of the time it doesn't work?

What is "wrong" the 1/4 of the time it doesn't work?

Sorry, I forgot to mention.

Absolutely nothing happens with _pos. Nothing is returned from the function BIS_fnc_findSafePos.

It's almost like it doesn't find a "safe place" and that's the end of it.

Yet, I have tested this by placing the player in the desert to the east, making sure the distance is short, and it will absolutely return a new position while using the debug option in "preview".

As soon as I go back to trying it through a SQF, nothing is returned roughly 1/4 of the time.

How are you executing the script (via trigger, etc.)? And make sure to have -showScriptErrors enabled on your Steam startup parameters to make sure it doesn't error out 1/4 of the time.

BIS_fnc_findSafePos won't always find safe positions and sometimes choose some weird predefined positions from the maps config, most of them seem to be mid-air.

Why not just use isFlatEmpty instead?

BIS_fnc_findSafePos won't always find safe positions and sometimes choose some weird predefined positions from the maps config, most of them seem to be mid-air.

Why not just use isFlatEmpty instead?

Thank you!

Giving it a test now, and looking at the scripting for them from the configs. Nice to know it's not just me being mad.