Sign in to follow this  
super-truite

Glass penetration - helicopters cockpits

I need to allow players to shoot down crew members of choppers for a game mode I am working on. The issue is that the cockpit glass, for orca's for instance, is bullet proof unless you shoot with 7.62.

What I tried is to modify the hitpoints classes, but it seems to be useless for that matter (I think it only changes the amount of damages to the hitpoint selections). From what I understand, bullet penetrability is defined inside .bisurf materials.

So I guess it is impossible to modify it for vanilla content?

As a work around, I began to modify the calibers of the various ammo, but this is a tedious solution as it would require a tweaking of soldiers armors in order to not change completely the behavior of weapons.

So if you have an other idea of how to pass this unbreakable glass, please tell me!

PS: I know bulletproof glass is used in helicopters cockpits and can even resist heavier calibers than 7.62 for some models, but I just need this for gameplay purposes as players of the mod complain about it.

As a work around, I began to modify the calibers of the various ammo, but this is a tedious solution as it would require a tweaking of soldiers armors in order to not change completely the behavior of weapons.

This is a bad idea, as it effects the entire penetration system (for vehicles and also buildings etc).

And yes you can't change vanilla model penetration materials, as they are baked into the models themself. Idk if the glass can be completely destroyed (as in the glass will vanish) on the orca, but if it can, reduce the hitpoints for the glass classes so they get destroyed quicker.

This is a bad idea, as it effects the entire penetration system (for vehicles and also buildings etc).

Yes, I am aware of that, but it seems I don't have a lot of options here. Even if the glass is destroyed, the penetrability is not affected.

I can also script it and check the direction of bullets hitting the glass by event handlers. But it will be a bit more tedious than what I wanted ;).

I would also look at the geometry of the firelod. Thickness makes a difference as well. U can make the glass pieces thinner

Oops. Just noticed u said vanilla content. Yea doing my way wouldnt be possible then.

Yes, I am aware of that, but it seems I don't have a lot of options here. Even if the glass is destroyed, the penetrability is not affected.

Not sure about the orca, does the glass vanish once it is fully damaged? There are some vehicles (I know Hunter has it) have glass that can get damaged (you see a texture with holes in it). Shoot it more (hitpoint class at 1.0) and it gets removed. Maybe request a feature in A3 feedback tracker to have the same system on helicopters? Mi24 in A2 for example also had this, front glass first damaged and after some more shots it vanishes.

If it does get removed but still stops bullets then thats a bug...