Sign in to follow this  
LFA

Problems joining mp with same ip

Bit of a weird one...

I am connecting to 1.75 (Sockets) MP games through my housemate's computer to a cable modem, hence we both have the same IP (confirmed by http://checkip.dyndns.org). Both of us are running XP on recently-formatted systems with OFP recently reinstalled with no firewalls yet, and we use Internet Connection Sharing. The weird part is that either of us can join by ourselves fine, but if both of us join at the same time:

(a) we both see our username and non-zero ping in the pool, but not the other person, and only one of us can actually select a role and use chat (usually the person who joined second). The other person is automatically dropped from the server after a couple of minutes.

(b) if it is really weird, I get my username replaced by my housemate's (or someone else who just happened to be joining the server at the same time) even though I don't have his username setup on my computer, but when I use chat I see my original username and everyone else sees the replaced username!

© if the second person attempts to join a couple of minutes after the first instead, then the second person gets dropped straight away with a connection failed error.

This seems to be more of a problem since 1.75, though it happened in 1.46 as well. Also, if a friend hosts a remote game, we can both join no worries - perhaps it is only a problem joining dedicated servers?. I have tried this on ADSL, and it is also not a problem as everyone has different IPs on the same network if you use something like PPP over Ethernet.

Any advice appreciated,

LFA

OK, maybe I should break the problem up:

Is it possible for two people with the same IP to join a MP game on a dedicated server?

If you are talking about two people that have the same external IP adress because they are both behind the same firewall, the answer is yes.

Many people do this regulary, including us at BIS.

I suppose you and your housemate have different local IP address - otherwise you would not be able to establish network connection between your two computers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is it possible for two people with the same IP to join a MP game on a dedicated server?<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, but you need to forward the ports

Drop ICS, go for a real NAT firewall and your problems will disappear. If you're using cable, Best Buy currently has a deal for a cable/dsl router with 4 port switch, maybe 5 port, for like $50.

Thanks for the confirmation Suma. I would have thought this to be the case as many people would have the set-up described above.

Camper, I looked up what forwarding ports meant, and what I saw scared the pants off me! If I ditch ICS like Shortbus suggests, would another program do the forwarding for me?

Hmm, it also works for me, XP machines and bridged (ICS) networks. One of your machines should have an ip of 192.x.x.x

Don't drop XP ICS, it's very good... you have some other underlying issue I think.

EDIT: you should explain exactly how the 2 machines are connected physically... what network cards and what IP's every card has.